Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Concerning BJJ classes Reply with quote

There is a small dojo opening up in my area that claims it will teach a variety of arts: kung fu, kick boxing, free stile, and of course BJJ. Now I have a bad feeling about this place, probably because it's so close to my home and I never trust the people here.

Anyway, I was wondering what a BJJ class was like so that I might judge how good this place is. I'm thinking of getting into a grappling art but have no experience in this type of school, though I currently take karate.

Any help is appreciated.

Anzie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shootfigthing

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we don't do BJJ, we do grappling (it's just called grappling, we have no syllabus or anything like that). So we start out with the teacher learning us various techniques, about 3 every class. Then we get about 10 minutes on each technique, more or less, depends on how difficult it is. Then we use the rest of the time to do spar. Works greatly for me.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a bjj class - 2.5 hours long.

30 mins conditioning

5 mins - break

60 mins techniques and drilling

50 mins rolling

5 mins - questions

That's about how it works on average. It's pretty intense. If you like good training and a hard workout, you'll love it. Who is this guy certified under?

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea because I haven't had a chance to check it out. I just wanted to know what to look for when I get that chance. We do a little ground work at my dojo so that helps, but you guys would know better.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my instructor first has us stretch out, then we do jiu-jitsu warmups (eggbeaters, triangles, flexibility excercises, getting up in base). Then we practice our rolls...forwards and backwards. We practice our "shrimping" or "elbow escape" movement down the mat. Then we train techniques, usually one submission and a few position variations or escapes. Then we drill from the position we worked on - lately it's been the half guard. Then we pair up and "roll" - or free spar until submission.
Girls kick butt!

JohnnyS
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shootfighting, TKD, Goju

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out who this guy's instructor is. You can usually check most instructors on bjj.org

WC-Strayder
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Location: Great is the one who knows, but even greater is the one who knows where to ask....
Styles: Wing Chun. Since 01

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good old classic "McDojo" to me!. Both kick boxing, free style and BJJ is so popular these days that it would be more then enough, don't you think?. What have gone thru these peoples minds adding Kung Fu to all that?. Every one knows that kung fu, whatever style, is totally worthless if you don't practice it for at least 15-20 years, soo what's the point adding that to the syllabus too?. No, go down there and check it out with eyes wide open and ears like doors, coz I smell something fishy from a looong distance here....
(Aspessially if Kung Fu is for self defence, B-coz it is not!)

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC-Strayder,

It may be dangerous to assume that because a particular gym has multiple styles that they're a McDojo. Our dojo actually has TKD, Jiu Jitsu, Wing Tsun, Tai Chi and some Self-Defense classes. However, they're not taught by the same people, they're just sharing the gym. One guy owns the building and the other ones rent it and run their schools in it. So, if you just looked from the outside, it would look like one school teaching multiple arts. In actuality, it's multiple schools sharing one roof, and, of course, the marketing materials in the lobby. Like the others said, the true test of the instructor is in the material they teach. Also, not everyone's goal is for self-defense. Many people may study Kung-fu for cultural or aesthetic reasons that are purely personal.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: