Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Dealing with nerves on competition days Reply with quote

On Sunday I attended a Kata competition and was almost paralysed with nerves, I was quite surprised by this as my last (also my first as a competitor) competition and the biggest home competition on our association calender I suffered only minor nerves and went on to win. This time round they were so horrendous I actually had the shakes and felt pretty drained due to them. I managed to come 2nd (which I'm still over the moon with) but feel my nerves led me to make silly mistakes I don't normally make.
Is there any useful tips you guys have on dealing with nerves? I have another competition at the end of June (the one I won last year) and really don't want to be in the same state as Sunday. Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

M.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever my nerves start to get the best of me, I either keep busy some how and some way, OR, I put on some headphones so I don't keep thinking about what's ahead; F.E.A.R. ...Future Events Appearing Real

Breath, relax, and do whatever relaxes you. However, some nerves are good, therefore, natural.

Hang in there!!

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you compete the less the nerves will get to you or that is my case. But I wrestled in high school so I was on the mats every weekend with numerous matches per day for that helped when I stated and competed in karate. As Sensei8 stated try to relax. The better prepared you are the less nervous too or again in my case. I keep the old proverb in the back of my mind "Bleed in the Dojo and Laugh on the battlefield"
But just relax and have fun. That's what a competition is fun, don't get caught up in winning and loosing. Have fun meet some new people and learn.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I think maybe next time I'll leave it till nearer my allocated time slot to go, I went from the start on Sunday to watch the kids from the club do their thing and could feel the nerves gradually building.

Quote:
I either keep busy some how and some way, OR, I put on some headphones so I don't keep thinking about what's ahead

I actually meant to take my headphones with me, but realised I'd forgotten them halfway to the venue. Might get a set to keep in my competition bag. I'll need to find some chill out tunes too, most of my musical tastes are not condusive to relaxing.

Quote:
"Bleed in the Dojo and Laugh on the battlefield"

I've never heard that proverb, but I like it!! definitely one to train by.

Thanks again guys

M.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with nerves on competition days Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
On Sunday I attended a Kata competition and was almost paralysed with nerves, I was quite surprised by this as my last (also my first as a competitor) competition and the biggest home competition on our association calender I suffered only minor nerves and went on to win. This time round they were so horrendous I actually had the shakes and felt pretty drained due to them. I managed to come 2nd (which I'm still over the moon with) but feel my nerves led me to make silly mistakes I don't normally make.
Is there any useful tips you guys have on dealing with nerves? I have another competition at the end of June (the one I won last year) and really don't want to be in the same state as Sunday. Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

M.

I'm being serious when I say this!

Familiarity through repetition!

My first kata competition had me (to my shame there is a picture of me in that competition) standing all lost/deflated about half way through the kata.
My arms at my side my head turned up to the roof as I tried to pull it together!
I was so nervous when I was told what I did, I didn't believe them and laughed at the comment as some kind of joke that I didn't understand.

The picture roll was developed and the picture shown to me to prove to me what had happened!

I promised myself then that I'd not embarrass the club like that again, so when we entered tournaments I made sure to add my name to the kata part of competition as well!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with the familiarity advice. The more you do it the less scary it will be. Do as many tournaments and events as you can and soon it'll just be routine. Put yourself in training stressful situations as often as possible and tournaments will be a piece of cake. I'm lucky in that my instructor regularly pulls us out individually in front of everyone to have our forms pulled apart and inspected. Same with our sparring.

Aside from that, I think it's good to build up a tournament routine. Get some music together and have a warm up of something that you do everytime to get in the zone

Another version of that quote from pittbullJudoka is:

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle."

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Another version of that quote from pittbullJudoka is:

I've heard it phrased like that as well and a couple other ways too. I just prefer the version I used sounds more like something they would've said in the ancient dojos.
But again sound advice from everyone.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, competitive experience hasn't helped control my nerves. The only way I can get a handle on it is to distract myself with video games or a book. When the fight is in a few minutes or the bell is ringing, however, I have to make myself cold, otherwise I can't work. There was this girl that was killed around these parts a while back and the circumstances were pretty messed up. I then blame the person I'm about to fight. This helps dehumanize them some so you can hurt them, and it also hardens the nerves down into something better. Still enough nerves to keep the pep in your step, but not so much that you spaz or freeze.

Of course, you could use any injustice or horror you please as long as it gets you into the right mental state. I like having a few butterflies, but not a migration swarm. I like my body to feel a little electrified, primed, like when you go for a walk on a summer night. I also need to want to hurt my opponent, or else empathy gets in the way of winning.

I don't know if this method will appeal to you, but if it does I hope it helps

Last edited by Drew on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routine can be valuable.
Pack your bag and anything else you need including food/snacks the night before. That way you don’t start the day with any last minute stress (eg where is my belt/gi/gloves etc)
How you relax on competition day is different for everyone. Some prefer the company of others, chat, watch some matches, others will lay down with their headphones on. I don’t suggest arriving closer to your match because in may martial arts events the start time is uncertain – that will lead to worry (ie I’m going to miss my match)
Most importantly have a set warm up routine that you follow every time. Practise it is class. A full pre competition warm up should commence about an hour before your event is scheduled. You should be sweating when you finish. Also have an abbreviated 10 minute warm up routine for those times you get the “Black Belt Open please report to Court 3” calls. The very act of conducting your familiar warm up will relax you.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good words:

Quote:
"Bleed in the Dojo and Laugh on the battlefield"

Quote:

..which ever phrase that appeals to you its the one that that connects with you matters.

Consider this maybe go through the katas you know and work with the one(s) you like the one(s) that come easy to you, the idea is (sure repeat - repeat - etc ) this adds to you and so your confidence come the next competition!

I mentioned my fist kata tournament being a complete failure, well second, third & forth were better, but no silverware, no placings!

Took me nearly a year to make it to the second round, and even then I was still placing 4th or 5th. It was the fact that in that year I'd graded to 3rd kyu that I had a selection of kata I could choose from, I liked Pinan sono ni and go, so I worked on them!
That when I started to bring home trophies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: