Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Just remember that everything that happens within the Dojo is a learning experience. People are unpredictable and you will never know what someone might do. However you can develop a plan to meet their attack and if you fail this is a good thing. This is an opportunity to look at why you failed and you are able to work on those deficiencies and improve. Then try, try again. You will eventually start to pick up on subtle clues and before you know it you will succeed.

Good luck and hang in there. It all come with time and practice, practice, practice.

I agree, I think I really need to know myself at this stage & lucky me I have a really good Sensei & senior grade students who are helping me & pointing out any issue on spot which for me is great way to learn.

I know it takes lots of time & practice & I am happy to wait, will never rush anything out

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
Just remember that everything that happens within the Dojo is a learning experience. People are unpredictable and you will never know what someone might do. However you can develop a plan to meet their attack and if you fail this is a good thing. This is an opportunity to look at why you failed and you are able to work on those deficiencies and improve. Then try, try again. You will eventually start to pick up on subtle clues and before you know it you will succeed.

Good luck and hang in there. It all come with time and practice, practice, practice.

I agree, I think I really need to know myself at this stage & lucky me I have a really good Sensei & senior grade students who are helping me & pointing out any issue on spot which for me is great way to learn.

I know it takes lots of time & practice & I am happy to wait, will never rush anything out

Sounds like you are already on your way and have good people to help you.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:

Sounds like you are already on your way and have good people to help you.

I hope so

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing strategy is a good question; here is how I teach it.

1) Attack the balance.
2) Always be in a position of advantage.
3) Control or dominate the opponent.
4) Take away the opponent's space.
5) Use the element of surprise.
6) Newton's quote: When a body is in motion it has a tendency to stay in motion and when a body is at rest it has a tendency to stay at rest.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Developing strategy is a good question; here is how I teach it.

1) Attack the balance.
2) Always be in a position of advantage.
3) Control or dominate the opponent.
4) Take away the opponent's space.
5) Use the element of surprise.
6) Newton's quote: When a body is in motion it has a tendency to stay in motion and when a body is at rest it has a tendency to stay at rest.

Thanks Alan, great advice. I can say that I am currently good at number 4 & working on number 1 ! The rest of the points will be in the plan

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that your knowledge will dictate your strategy. As Bruce Lee said, "fear not the man that does 1000 kicks. Fear the man that does 1 kick 1000 times." You have to know what you CAN do and what is effective. That's the first step.

I'd also say that strategy could be 1 of 2 things- defensive or offensive. Are you the kind of fighter that is good at countering? If your strength is in finding openings after an opponent attacks, then you employ a counter striker/defensive strategy. Or does your speed allow you to be the kind of person that will score on a technique without having to counter? If you are the one that can use feints, fakes, etc. to dictate where the openings will be, you employ an offensive strategy. You rely on your ability to score without having to rely on the opponent to "give" you the openings when they attack. You CREATE the openings.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing strategies need to work for each individual.

My personal strategy is to do things in threes; probably have about three hundred thing I like do in threes.

Three lines of counter attack.
1.a) The line of attack from the opponent.
2.b) The line of intercepting that attack.
3.c) The line of striking the opponent.

Three lines of attack that change according to the opponent's defence; Left, front or right doors.
1.a) If the left door is closed I will use the front or right door.
2.b) If the right door is closed I will use the left or front door.
3.) If the front door is closed I will use both left and right doors.

There is also upstairs and downstairs that can open up many windows of opportunity; if not try the back door.

1.) Do your own Analysis of which techniques win fights and emulate them but be yourself.

2.) Perhaps you cannot succeed with all of them but the (Best three) few that do the job for you, be the greatestest you can be with them and be yourself.

3.) Train to win, easy is not an option and above all be yourself because everyone else is taken and you never know you could become better than those that you once wanted to be.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
I'd also say that strategy could be 1 of 2 things- defensive or offensive. Are you the kind of fighter that is good at countering? If your strength is in finding openings after an opponent attacks, then you employ a counter striker/defensive strategy. Or does your speed allow you to be the kind of person that will score on a technique without having to counter? If you are the one that can use feints, fakes, etc. to dictate where the openings will be, you employ an offensive strategy. You rely on your ability to score without having to rely on the opponent to "give" you the openings when they attack. You CREATE the openings.

Thanks jaypo for your reply. It will be really interesting to discover which type I am. Being a new karateka, I guess I will tak a while till I discover !

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Developing strategies need to work for each individual.

My personal strategy is to do things in threes; probably have about three hundred thing I like do in threes.

Three lines of counter attack.
1.a) The line of attack from the opponent.
2.b) The line of intercepting that attack.
3.c) The line of striking the opponent.

Three lines of attack that change according to the opponent's defence; Left, front or right doors.
1.a) If the left door is closed I will use the front or right door.
2.b) If the right door is closed I will use the left or front door.
3.) If the front door is closed I will use both left and right doors.

There is also upstairs and downstairs that can open up many windows of opportunity; if not try the back door.

1.) Do your own Analysis of which techniques win fights and emulate them but be yourself.

2.) Perhaps you cannot succeed with all of them but the (Best three) few that do the job for you, be the greatestest you can be with them and be yourself.

3.) Train to win, easy is not an option and above all be yourself because everyone else is taken and you never know you could become better than those that you once wanted to be.

Sounds like good strategy Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: