Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Diet Reply with quote

G'day fellas!

I have been lifting weights for a little while with no real set plans when it comes to diets, so the other day I had a look at some body building diets and most of the foods they has were impossible for me too eat during the day as I am to school! So anyway, what I want too know is if anyone has any suggestions of foods that I can take to school with me (My goal is too add mass and gain strength) Cheers.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I look at diets is that I can't follow them to a "T". I always find some item that I hate or that is impractical to prepare. I try to find substitute items or take supplements to fill in the gaps. Since you are lifting you probably need to get some extra protein. You might need to find a good protein bar (I like the Cliff bar) or shake supplement to bring with you.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ahazmaksya .... I don't know much about "you" but since you are in school I am assuming you are still in your teens so I will refer you to a site that I have mentioned before here and that's
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com ... where you will find lots of tips and advice according to what your specific goals are.

Red J is correct in suggesting protein supplements .. but as far as Cliff bars go, the number of carbs, calories, the percentage of calories from fat and the amount of saturated fat vary from flavor to flavor, so beware!
This is important, as fat is the body’s last energy source resort. Carbs are easy for the body to convert into energy, and long chain carbos provide for a steady stream of energy. Simple carbs (i.e. sugars) provide a quick boost, but leave little in the boiler for steady stroking. Clif Bars typically contain 43 - 45 grams of carbohydrates ... 40% coming from sugar.
So when yo choose a protein bar - you definitely need to read their labels to insure you are getting accessible and sustainable energy. Fat calories are useless as a means of energy for short to medium length rides.

There is a section on the site which recommends certain supplements according to your age .... and also lots of real informative nutrition articles geared for guys your age.

Please check through the Health & Fitness forum for other threads which might help you ... and good luck!

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick is right on target with the Cliff bar. They do vary from flavor to flavor and you need to look at the ingredients. When I said that I like them it was more because they are the only ones that I can stomach. Some are just so bad... ...The best way that I liked the powder was to put it in the blender with orange juice, banana, and ice. I know, some brands of orange juice have a lot of sugar, but I had to have something to make the stuff tolerable...

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to eat 6-8 times throughout the day, small meals.

How many breaks do you get during the school day? I have two breaks, about two hours apart, which is perfect for timing meals. I can eat breakfast around 7am, snack at 10am break, snack at 12:30am lunch, snack at about 3pm after school has finished, come home, workout, a protein shake at about 5-6pm, and then dinner at a bit before 7. Finally another meal at around 9-10 before I head off for bed. If you only get one break during the school day, you can always try to get in a quick bite between lessons, just to prevent catabolism(body turning to stored reserves for fuel, that means your muscles being broken down for energy!)

If you are aiming to gain strength and muscle mass like I am at the moment, to aim for calorie-dense foods, and complex carbohydrates. You would want such foods as..

Eggs
Milk
Cottage Cheese
Peanut Butter
Steak
Chicken
Beef
Lamb
Tuna
Bread(wholemeal)
Pasta
Rice
Potatos
Orange or Grapefruit Juice
Green Veggies
Fruits

These are all good foods, proteins and good carbohydrates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Red J, Kickchick and Jack!

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this is the program I have at the moment, please give me some feedback, I want too know what I should change/where I should go next.

Military Press, 3 sets 8 reps
Dumbbell Curls, 3 sets 8 reps
10 burpees, 2 sets of 30 pushups legs raised
killer crunches, 3 sets of 15 legs raised
Barbell Curls, 3 sets 8 reps
Dead Lift 3 sets 8 reps.

Please negative feedback very welcome, Cheers.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahazmaksya wrote:
BTW this is the program I have at the moment, please give me some feedback, I want too know what I should change/where I should go next.

Military Press, 3 sets 8 reps
Dumbbell Curls, 3 sets 8 reps
10 burpees, 2 sets of 30 pushups legs raised
killer crunches, 3 sets of 15 legs raised
Barbell Curls, 3 sets 8 reps
Dead Lift 3 sets 8 reps.

Please negative feedback very welcome, Cheers.

sounds good, i'd maybe add some press ups too for chest/triceps

I try and do the 6 small meals a day thing by putting together a sandwich box with 6 sandwiches and pieces of fruit. I start the day with a big breakfast, and aim to eat a sandwich or peice of fruit every 2 hours finishing with a medium sized dinner.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the weight routine, it could do with some improvement.

Ditch the Curls.
If you want size, 3 sets of about 8 reps is good. If you want to focus more on strength, try 4 or 5 sets of 3 to 6 reps, and do not go to failure.

If you want to work your body evenly and efficiently, you want the basic compound movements that utilise multiple muscle groups at once.

Bench Press
Military Press
Pullups/Chins
Barbell Row
Dips
Deadlift
Squat

These moves will get you good strength and size. Do not worry about isolation movements like curls or tricep kickbacks.

Hope this helps. If you don't gain any weight or strength with this, EAT MORE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ahazmaksya
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fellas!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: