Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JMulford79
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo and Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Differences in Kenpo Reply with quote

This may be a loaded question and if so, I apologize.

What are the major differences in what would be considered traditional Kenpo versus Ed Parker's Kenpo? Are there just slight differences/variations or is it very, very different? Any examples would be great. Thanks.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenpo/Kempo is a very generic term, so it's hard to compare. Ed Parker's Kenpo, Oyata Seiyu's Ryukyu Kempo, and So Doshin's Shorinji Kempo, for example, are very specific systems, but they are using the Kenpo/Kempo name as a descriptor. Much like "kung fu," or "karate," it is very vague, and many styles can be said to be Kenpo/Kempo. Even karate can be given that name, as Motobu Choki once did.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Kenpo/Kempo is a very generic term, so it's hard to compare. Ed Parker's Kenpo, Oyata Seiyu's Ryukyu Kempo, and So Doshin's Shorinji Kempo, for example, are very specific systems, but they are using the Kenpo/Kempo name as a descriptor. Much like "kung fu," or "karate," it is very vague, and many styles can be said to be Kenpo/Kempo. Even karate can be given that name, as Motobu Choki once did.

Solid post!!

One would have to divulge deeper in each of these to begin to truly understand their differences because a casual understanding the differences hardly give one some appreciations through and through.

I've crossed trained with those that Wastelander speaks about, and I can tell you this, they're not the same...not even close. Parker's has the speed...Oyata's has the power...Doshin's has the eclectic elements. I found, and enjoyed the differences across the board.

Had I not learned Shindokan, I more than likely would've chosen of the three, Shorinji Kempo.

JMulford79
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo and Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent feedback guys. Thanks!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:

Hit the nail on the head.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenpo is a Japanese term for Quan. I believe it mean fist law or law of the fist but it's been many years and can't remember if that is right or which is right.

I do however know that the term was used instead of the Chinese term Quan.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:

I fell in love with Seiyu Oyata's RyuTe Renmei/RyuKyu Kempo when I trained with an affiliate dojo for a summer. The way they did Pinan kata wasn't like any of the mainstream ways I've seen them done. Seemed far more old-school like they weren't changed to look better for competition. Watching a class the first time I went in, all I could think was "they make so much more sense that way." If I can find a video I'll post a link. The bunkai was excellent as well.

My favorite part of it was the bogu kumite - full contact sparring with kendo armor on. No one pulled any punches during that.

That system and Uechi Ryu are two systems that I fell in love with but couldn't train in more than a short stint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: