Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, gonna be a bit cheeky here.

centreline theory, trapping hands, in close fighting...
hmm, sounds like....

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL it sure does remeber goju is chinese through and through

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really???
hmm, another one to add to my research list.
daaamn, still haven't found a good shorin ryu school to look at yet either...

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drunken monkey, for your info, Taken from the website of the USA HOMBO for the Goju Kenshikai headed by Hanshi Tetsuhiro Hokama

The RyuKyu's Islands are a small chain of islands located between Japan and China. The largest and
most famous of these islands is Okinawa. Because of their strategic location it was a trading center
for China and Japan as well as other Asian country, the Ryukyus martial arts were greatly influenced
by the Chinese and other Asian cultures.
Karate was born when the indigenous Okinawan Art of life-preservation known as "Ti" (hand) was
infused with Chinese martial arts and other Asian arts. It then became known as Karate meaning
"Hand of China". Even though Karate had some influence of Chinese martial art, yet it is martial art
that was unique to Okinawa.
Today Karate literally means "open hand" which refers to the physical means of hand movement and
physical characteristics of the hand; which, when combined together represent human nature. That is
to say, that, karate should be a natural movement - for example, just as in walking. The natural
movements in Karate are typical in the old ways of karate.
Karate is too often misinterpreted as empty hand. This is wrong; it's suggesting that there is no
substance, or movement in the hand.
After the Meiji Restoration, Okinawa was under the rule of Japan. The literal translation of karate was
changed from "Chinese hand" to "open hand". This definitely was done for political reasons.
Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karate-Jutsu is the style of karate taught at our dojo. Functionally translated, Goju-
Ryu Karate-Jutsu means "hard and soft, gentle style of China hand Art," or open hand art, depending
on the kanji used for the word kara.
Goju-Ryu was created from the life-long work of two great Okinawan teachers, Kanryo Higaonna
(1853-1915) and his student Chojun Miyagi (1888-1953). Since the style was developed from both
Okinawa and China, it reflects a blend of techniques from such martial arts as Okinawa-ti and several
Kung-fu styles originated in China such as Black Tiger style, Monk Fist and White Crane. As a result,
Goju-Ryu contains a variety of techniques ranging from powerful and explosive punches and kicks, to
more subtle and gentle blocking and evading techniques. Hence, the derivation of its name the "hard
and soft style." Witnessing proper execution of Goju-Ryu, an audience is left with an impression of
power and grace.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. The answer is yes, but the aproach varries some in the systems I've syudied. There is one glaring constant, though, in all of them. You have to think outside the box, be mentally flexable.

Taiji is a form based art, in that the form is the primary instrument for teaching you to move and fight. Every move has an infinite number of applications. Meditation, contemplation, and experimentation often yield surprising results in formulating applications.

My TKD class doesn't usually get into extrapolating applications until higher ranking, usually after black. But if you are interested and show an aptitude they'll work with you on it earlier. They want you to take both the forms and the one steps and self defenses, rework them for martial applications, and combine them to form techniques. With a base in American Kenpo, this is right up my alley. They even allow me to inject some soft moves from AK and Taiji

American Kenpo starts you out on understanding principles and concepts at white. You break down the techniques and forms into their detailed components, learn the how and the why of each part of each move, and recombine it into the whole. Then you learn to change it up, recombine things to deal with the 'what ifs'. AK's early forms give you a dictionary of motion. The more advanced forms combine techniques to teach borrowing and technique flow. And, from orange on up, you are required to create your own thesis form.

Arnis forms are pretty self explanatory at beggining levels. But later on I'm told I'll have to re-interpret the stick work to empty hands applications. I have worked with FMA practitioners before, and have seen this done. It is pretty awesome.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Delta! Thanks. Keep it coming guys and girls. I may put all of this into a book someday. *L*

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that link. I think I fixed it so that you can use it now.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: