Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is organized like an online college course, you set up a account which leads to the online dashboard of your classes, the courses are divided into modules and belt levels. Lyoto or Chinzo lead the classes, which are set up like regular classes. Once you've finished the course, you take a live test after practicing on your own time and messaging the teachers with any questions. The minimum testing window for each belt level is four months, and at the moment, they only have curriculum completed up to the orange belt level. The videos are of really high quality, so I would imagine that a lot of work was spent creating them. The language barrier may be an obstacle, but it is clear enough to comprehend what the machidas are trying to convey. I genuinely like their approach, and I appreciate the drills, combinations, and technique they provide. They essentially modified Shotokan for more modern MMA, including grappling applications and so on. They have some of their own Machida Kata

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very interesting, indeed. Do they have their own rank progression system, different from more traditional Shotokan systems? I didn't know if Shotokan had an orange belt or not.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it definitely does sound interesting and am curious to hear a little more.

For the 'live testing' is it via a webcam or do you have to visit someplace in person?

Am also curious how you are finding the online tuition : do you require a certain base level of karate knowledge to be able to reliably demonstrate the techniques and improve them from the videos? I have always found that with bjj instructional videos it does make a difference if you have some familiarity with the art etc.

Sounds like you have hit on what you were looking for though which is good

I remember seeing a video of a jka 7th dan training with them and performing one of their katas a while back. Looked interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: