Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Dynamic tension Reply with quote

Hi all,

What do you people think about dynamic tension exercises? (doing slow motion tense moves using opposing muscles to resist the motion) I get the impression that these sort of exercises are very popular in fung fu.

My cousin (who does TKD and Hung gar) claims that a Hung gar Martial artist can generate 10times the power of a TKD-er. due to their training using dynamic tension compared to TKD's full speed drills.

This isn't Hung Gar Vs TKD or having a dig at tkd (i do TKD). I'm just interested in if any of you use or value dynamic tension exercises?

Bretty

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do that in Shotokan. It makes you feel stronger and faster but if ti does I don't know.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really what "dynamic tension" means: "dynamic " (dealing with motion - can be slow or fast actually) and "tension" (being contraction of the muscle group).
So dynamic tension exercises are exercises done while flexing the muscles hard while also moving .... like when throwing a punch in order to maximize it's power.
During my kickbox class I am always yelling out "contract the muscles in your arms!!" as we punch and even as we kick the bag ... it truly "pumps" up the muscles and fatigues them.
But you can also achieve this by pre-fatigueing the muscles. Contract the muscles you are working first, get them good and tired and then do your exercises such as flexing the chest or tricep muscles as hard as you possibly can, and then go and do a set of push ups.

You can also go the route of slow motion training by taking a full 12 seconds for the positive phase and 6 seconds for the negative phase of each rep in an exercise.
The principles of "dynamic tension" was made famous by Charles Atlas.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did that with step sparring yesterday. It was kinda cool. We did everything in slow motion and with power at the same time (I guess this is the same thing).

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dynamic tension Reply with quote

Bretty101 wrote:
My cousin (who does TKD and Hung gar) claims that a Hung gar Martial artist can generate 10times the power of a TKD-er. due to their training using dynamic tension compared to TKD's full speed drills.
Bretty

I missed responding to this ... In TKD variouis kicking.punching/blocking drills utilize isometric and dynamic tension exercises to gain better muscle tone and more strength to perform its various demanding techniques ... so I cannot understand where you can say TKD is solely full speed drills.
We have many many tension blocks, kicks and punches in our forms and so these tension techniques are also drilled in class outside of form practice.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: