Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was finishing my work on the elliptical training machine today it was getting close to time for the gym to close. So I am trying to figure out how long can I stay on the machine and still be able to safely walk down stairs from the third floor.

By varying the ramp angle and swithching back and forth between forwards and backwards pedaling motions I find that I get a really good leg workout on the transport. (the brand of our machines efx transport)

So does anyone else work with an elliptical trainer? I really like them.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it before and got a great workout. It is harder than it looks. After 10-15 minutes I was sweating like a pig.

muaythaiposer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried them once, but i didn't like them. felt very restricted in my movements/strides. i find doing my cardio outdoors much more scenic and keeps you more alert to your body. better workout on your mind that way too.

Gloi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 1st dan Shotokan, 1st kup TKD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably use the elliptical trainer most out of all the stuff in the gym. I like it becauseyou are using your arme as well as your legs on it and I can set the resistance up so I feel I can work out hard on it without running out of breath. I do find though that if I stay on it for more than about 30 minutes at a time I start getting pins and needles in my feet from the constant pressure, so need to break from it for a while.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use the ellipticals in the gym too, but I also find that I get pins and needles in my feet, but after about 15min! This isn't so bad as I normally use it as a warm-up and then do 20min Fartlek training on the treadmill, a bit of a lighter 15min on the upright or recumbent bikes and occasionally some rowing (yuck!) or cross-training on a weird machine!

I love the feeling of the eliptical though - I imagine I am running on clouds or just shut my eyes and pretend I am running along a beach, track, race, whatever, for variety. (This also is quite good for maintaining balance - just so long as you have enough balance to do it!)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the way that your heels rise off the surface of the skis on cross country? Well on the elliptical and the end of the stride the heel should be rising there too; it keeps the circulation going in the feet largely eliminating unpleasant tingly sensations.

I also find it much easier to read on the elliptical than on the treadmill.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i burn more calories in the same amount of time when using the elliptical trainner. In 10 minutes, I burn 200 calories using the elliptical trainner. On the stair climber, I burn 150 calories. ON the bike, I burn 100 calories in 10 minutes. I like the elliptical trainner!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: