Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must bow in/out of the classroom, we bow in before class starts, and out after it ends. In general, our uniforms are supposed to be white, but our master instructor lets a couple folks wear what they had from previous training (one girl has a black gi, for some reason... and we have someone who's very well versed in judo come in with his various judogis, one of which is blue.)

Our master instructor primarily teaches at a different locations, and we have two 2nd dahns running my classes. Things feel a bit more relaxed when MI isn't there.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so we're pretty laid back. Heck, even my karate days were on the relaxed end of the spectrum. As previously stated, in BJJ we are just by nature less formal. We don't even do a bow in/ out at our place and no one thinks about it crossing the mat. On Saturdays I'm liable to do it with coffee in hand.

This is all fine and good for people who like that atmosphere. Some people just don't. And that's fine.

Now, our challenge comes when we have the head of our organization in for a seminar (like the coming weekend ) who does bow on and off, does the by rank line up, and bows to start and finish class. We always scramble to try and figure it out. Usually failing.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formal greet, in and out, acknowledge dan grades if they walk past you while training (warm up etc). Gis all the same, bow in and out to the floor if you leave for any reason. Plenty of etiquette and you will get plenty of press ups if you forget!! Not good and not bad, I like the etiiquette part considering it's a traditional school. Maybe a bit less Osu'ing of everything wouldn't hurt tho....
Osu!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
Formal greet, in and out, acknowledge dan grades if they walk past you while training (warm up etc). Gis all the same, bow in and out to the floor if you leave for any reason. Plenty of etiquette and you will get plenty of press ups if you forget!! Not good and not bad, I like the etiiquette part considering it's a traditional school. Maybe a bit less Osu'ing of everything wouldn't hurt tho....
Osu!

We are the same except we don't Oss.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: