Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

WhiteShark
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shidokan, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be argumentitive just curious.

Do you consider the squat exercises I recomended too intense? I started them without any preparation like squattiing weight etc.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not really. But my only suggestion is that a thorough warm-up is essential prior to plyometric training. Attention should be given to jogging/jump rope to warm up muscles, stretching , striding and general mobility especially about the joints involved in the planned plyometric training. A warm-down should follow too!
It is wise not to perform too many repetitions in any one session and since it's the quality not the quanity, with the emphasis on speed and power rather than endurance, split the work into sets with ample recovery in between.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, explore plyometric training exerices, nothing will but you up like them and I mean nothing

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Don Gwinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Kickchick talks about "depth" plyometrics, I believe she's talking about the really high box jumps, the jumps down from big heights (like at least shoulder height) to rebound back up, etc.
I have to agree. Those exercises should not be attempted by anyone without massively strong legs, great joints and exceptional balance, if at all.

Can't compare them to jump squats and Hindu squats (as long as they're unweighted) though. Those are great exercises.

http://www.thefiringline.com

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for clarifying that one for me Don Gwinn!
Might I also add another tip for developing those explosive muscles (which all martial artists require for kicks and also punches to hit their targets with max speed).
Now this is according to T. Kurz .. Some targets require the fully stretched muscles of the leg. Your nervous system has a way of making sure that a stretch, particularly a sudden one, does not end abruptly causing muscle tears (like the dreaded hamstring!)
But gradual slowing down before making contact will of course spoil te impact of the kick. So what you need to work on is training your nervous system (or neural reflexes) so that you can obtain max speed at the moment of contact even though it may be close to the maximum reach of motion for this specific kick.
So how can you start training for this?
Use your hand as a target when doing your dynamic stretches. I do this all the time and it does work! Centers in the brain that regulate coordination and fast movements "know" about the hand. They know it is there and that it can stop the kick so the leg does not have to be slowed down gradually to prevent overstretching.

To begin your dynamic stretching start slowly, gradually raise legs higher. Start increasing speed of kicks by using this hand-kicking drill.
This will develop your ability to move your limbs with max speed with a full range of motion in your joints (height in those kicks!). Use this drill as a warm-up only because there is a limited amount of kicks that you can practice this way ....front, back, side.
What could be better than developing more speed and height in your kicks. Yes, I know it is not necessary to kick high .... but to have more range of motion is an added benefit to height in those kicks.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-07 09:52 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: