Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Far Side Arm Bar Reply with quote

Here's some material that we worked on last week. We talk about transitioning to knee in belly position from side and work the details of the far side arm bar. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emNVH1HlBXo

Now, with that said, what do traditional artist see as a benefit to the knee in position? How do you feel about this transition vs. a more pressure oriented one? How about the advantages vs. the disadvantages of pressure vs. the pinning transition we show here?

Just some thoughts for discussion. Have at it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial, Alex!!

Quote:
Now, with that said, what do traditional artist see as a benefit to the knee in position?

Control achieved; difficult to escape!

Quote:
How do you feel about this transition vs. a more pressure oriented one?

While the pressure oriented one has its merits, it ties up, even if for a moment, the arms to maintain the pressure!

Quote:
How about the advantages vs. the disadvantages of pressure vs. the pinning transition we show here?

If I understand the question...

The pressure leaves, imho, little for error because the arms are engaged just to long and can stall the pinning transition beyond more than I care for.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Nice tutorial, Alex!!

Quote:
Now, with that said, what do traditional artist see as a benefit to the knee in position?

Quote:

While the pressure oriented one has its merits, it ties up, even if for a moment, the arms to maintain the pressure!

Quote:
How about the advantages vs. the disadvantages of pressure vs. the pinning transition we show here?

The pressure leaves, imho, little for error because the arms are engaged just to long and can stall the pinning transition beyond more than I care for.

Typically traditional (and non-traditional) striking artist really like the knee in position to strike from. The ability to control with the knee and one hand while the other fires shots is often cited as a benefit of the position.

From a grappling perspective, the fluidity of the position is also lauded to keep up with, and control bottom motion while being able to take advantage of opportunities given.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Nice tutorial, Alex!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Typically traditional (and non-traditional) striking artist really like the knee in position to strike from. The ability to control with the knee and one hand while the other fires shots is often cited as a benefit of the position.

From a grappling perspective, the fluidity of the position is also lauded to keep up with, and control bottom motion while being able to take advantage of opportunities given.

I agree!! It's all about control and controlling!!

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loves me some knee on belly! I call this armbar the "Little Tea Pot Armbar" because of how his arm makes a handle. Good tutorial.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
Loves me some knee on belly! I call this armbar the "Little Tea Pot Armbar" because of how his arm makes a handle. Good tutorial.

Thank you! Yes, I too love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: