Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Four months to black - training plan Reply with quote

I've got a date for my black belt grading which is just over 4 months from now so I'm upping my training plan (below) which I've been doing for a few weeks now.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

I train Wado karate twice a week, for the new year I joined the local Shotokan club so I train once a week with them (It's been real good fun going back to white belt )

Outside that I'm

Running Monday and Thursday: doing a 4 mile run, it has a railway bridge on route so I'm running up and down the steps 20 times as quick as I can, then there's a park close to home where I'm running through half my katas one day and the other half the next.

Weights Tuesday and Friday: I found a Kyokushin weight training video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbyXF0bVaPo). I never done weights seriously and this totally killed me the first three sessions I could hardly walk the day after. But I've stuck with it and the last couple of times I've been much better after (although the guy recommends 5 sets and I'm just doing three!)

It consists of 2 different press ups, various squats with and without weights, arm and then core exercises.

Stretching Wednesday and Saturday: I've been following this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4u25wCI0NY) for about six months I'm quite a stiff person, and old but this has really helped. It's kind of static stretching but he keeps the joints moving all the time, and I throw in some other stretches tat help me so it works out to about a 40 minute session.

Life gets in the way sometimes but hoping to stick with this at least 90% of the time until I greade.

I've kind of fumbled around and bodged this plan together, but I'm no expert! So if anyone has any opinions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks a lot.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you should do should be determined by what you need to achieve. It seems you're doing a bit of everything. While it seems like what you're doing is good in theory (I haven't watched the videos), you should focus on what you need most and/or your biggest weaknesses.

What will your test consist of? How long will it be? What are your biggest challenges right now? Without knowing any of these, it's impossible to say you're on the right track or not.

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JR 137, the plan is to build my strength and stamina.

It's a 7-8 hour grading. From what I understand its (in no particular order) a lot of bag work, a session of line work (kihon), our 10 katas and the first three wado kihon kumite. Then there's a long sparring session.

Probably my weakest area are jumping kicks getting off the ground high enough and pushing out that leg correctly which is why I'm working on flexibility and squatting to build strength in my legs.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see anyone for additional training that can help you in relation to your training?

Seeing a Personal Trainer or someone more qualified than a PT can really help.

I train people, and many with the specific mindset for Grading Prep in mind. I work them very specifically Aerobically and Anaerobically, because they may struggle to last the duration. Then have the strength almost secondary. BUT Strength Training can take longer to have adaptations so you need to train with some overloading.

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Do you see anyone for additional training that can help you in relation to your training?

I train people, and many with the specific mindset for Grading Prep in mind. I work them very specifically Aerobically and Anaerobically, because they may struggle to last the duration. Then have the strength almost secondary. BUT Strength Training can take longer to have adaptations so you need to train with some overloading.
No I don't, and hadn't really thought about that, but perhaps it's a sensible way forward. I'll have a look around locally see if there is anyone. Thanks

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

No I don't, and hadn't really thought about that, but perhaps it's a sensible way forward. I'll have a look around locally see if there is anyone. Thanks

Best source is an Exercise Physiologist or an Exercise Scientist. In the u.s. Refer to the ACSM (american college sports medicine), australia - ESSA

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne, just wanted to say thanks, I took your advice and it's been really, really helpful. Cheers

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the plan works for you. I also hope you will succeed in your testing.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JackD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's much appreciated LLLEARNER, it's working out very well, and, as an added bonus I actually have some visible muscle!!

Probably a bit daft at my age but I'm really excited and fired up at this point on my karate path

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat. Just started in feb. Just earned yellow. I am 38 work full time, school full time, and have a family. I just need to start in at the school gym.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: