Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Frog Style Reply with quote

I've just been watching a documentary about a team of Shaolin performers known as Shaolin Wheel of Life. They've just been doing a big theatre show in London's West End.

Well, in this documentary, one of the practitioners was demonstrating Shaolin Frog Style. I've never heard of this before, so can anyone tell me a little about it?

Thanks.

Sheffield Steelers!

Ted T.
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin-ji Karate, Bagua, Lok Hup, Chen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no,

but I doubt if it is up there with the Angry Monkey™.

siufeifei
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am not a big fan of the travelling shaolin show. I know it's good entertainment but too many people see it and take it as reality and truth. No offence to the mod who started this.

here's a link to an article by someone well respected for his honest words.

http://www.martialarts.co.uk/sifu.htm

Hudson
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Toad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frog style is probably one of those rare sets like Scorpion style. Although I can't imagine what it'd be like. Do you have any links?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a name like that, it MUST be great!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kzshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shindo Jinen Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest, I have heard alot about Shaolin Kenpo from Chinese in Chinese (I do speak in chinese) , and honestly, never heard of frog style, scorpion sytles.

The most popular that I have heard of from Shaolin are 18 Lo Han, I-chin.....etc. the only two animal styles I have heard from Shaolin are Tiger styles, and Dragon styles, never heard of others.

It's hard to belived Buddhist monk will develop martial art based on scorpion or frog, which are life form that represent darkness in Chinese mythology.

NO offense, but there are alot of styles out there are fictional.

Last edited by kzshin on Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think anyone would bring frog style into a real fight...i'm sure they would end up croaking...
*laughs at his own stupid pun*

fangshi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Savate,Bagua , Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen an old b movie called the 5 deadly venoms (one of my favorites) One of the five studied the frog style . His skin was impenitrable. Very cool for a movie but have never heard of anything like a frog style in real life.

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as wierd as this may seem, i know which movie you mean. i thought it was toad style but i guess i could be wrong it's been awhile since i've seen it. still it was pretty good lol.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought that the style had been made up for the documentary, but apparrently it hadn't. It was repeated again last night, so I watched it again to see if it said anything about Frog style that I'd missed. They just said that it was a long-established but rare style.

In the documentary they also demonstrated the other animal styles, with the usual snake, crane, eagle, tiger, etc but also the less common horse, dog and lion, as well as the aforementioned frog.

Quote:
Personally, I am not a big fan of the travelling shaolin show. I know it's good entertainment but too many people see it and take it as reality and truth. No offence to the mod who started this.

No offence taken. I'm not a fan of travelling MA shows either, but the documentary was quite fun to watch. Plus, it was about MA and secondly it was on when nothing else worth watching was on either...

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: