Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

whitedial
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Gi shopping in Osaka and Kyoto Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Goju-Ryu practitioner here from Spain.

I'll be going to Osaka and Kyoto next week (for the first time) for a family trip.

I would like to know where are the best places to buy Gi's and what brands to look out for.

Thank you very much!

Cheers!

Karate_John
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Judo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really tell you of any stores to visit, But I can say Tokaido & Shureido are the two premium brands out of japan. As a Goju-Ryu practitioner I would love to get a Shureido.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Karate John mentioned, Tokaido and Shureido are usually universally recommended. Hirota is a newer company (than the other two) that comes highly recommended. Hirota doesn't have the presence outside of Japan the others have.

Shureido is the unofficial official Okinawan karate gi, whereas Tokaido is the unofficial official Japanese karate gi. Both are equal in quality, but they're cut differently.

I'd be surprised if you can't find a store that lets you try them on. Probably both in the same store, but you never know.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally recommend Tokaido because of the quality that they provide, but that is the same of Shureido. I have a Tokaido Gi and love it, but have never worn a Shureido Gi before so can't really say which to go for.

The hard part is finding one that fits you well, since they would (most likely) sell primarily the Japanese Cut over the European Cut in store.

I think Kyoto would be the best out of the two locations to buy Gi's from because many Honbu Dojo's operate out of there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: