Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joaolx wrote:
I always wear a T-shirt under my gi, it feels more confortable

I see you do Shitokai, which from memory is a Shito-ryu sub-branch?

I can totally understand the comfort approach to it, i don't wear a t-shirt or anything underneath because it feels restricted and also I really don't want to wash extra clothing at the end of the day especially since I sweat a lot!

tallgeese wrote:
I strongly encourage it at my place, to the point that I've just about made it mandatory. A rashguard or tee is fine, I wear both.

From a BJJ standpoint, at some point, you're going to be in close (very close) proximity, stuck to the ground while someone crushes you. I don't like un-impeded sweat being smashed into my face skin to skin. I know it's not traditional, but I just don't.

For grappling arts, I really like a rashguard or undershirt on.

That is so true in regards to Ground Arts, because in my time doing BJJ without a rashguard or anything underneath the gi it was really gross to have like 6 or 7 other peoples sweat on me. So I learnt really quickly to wear one underneath during training.

But i am assuming it is also a OH&S thing also???

joaolx
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokai Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
I see you do Shitokai, which from memory is a Shito-ryu sub-branch?

Shotokai is a sub-branch of Shotokan, it started when Egami a former Funakoshi student that disliked the sport aproach that Shotokan was leaning to decided to create a sistem closer to traditional karate as a "do"/way

Last edited by joaolx on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
While I don't enforce any particular rules regarding the wearing of t-shirts and the like, I do enforce that it be appropriate. That just simply means, if you're female, better wear something under the gi top that's appropriate. Wandering eyes from the men, angers me because it's disrespectful and uncalled for, and won't be tolerated at all.

My 1st Dan test was a huge affair way back when. I was the highest rank testing, but we had 30 testing that day. It was my responsibility to make sure everyone's dobok & belt looked as they should. One 16 year old green belt decided to wear a bikini top under her dobok top, rather than a t shirt. Being 17 myself at the time I had a difficult time saying it, but I told her to find a t shirt to wear. My master never knew about it, as far as I know.

I've not worn a t-shirt under my dobok until the last few years. My organization recently okayed it for men. The rule for both genders is, "the shirt color must match one's rank." My preference is to not wear one, but I do occasionally.

toddjutsu
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Aiki-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really personal preference. I have done both ways, but mainly do where a T shirt under. Have attended a class where a few ladies did not and that was interesting.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddjutsu wrote:
It is really personal preference. I have done both ways, but mainly do where a T shirt under. Have attended a class where a few ladies did not and that was interesting.

That doesn't seem like a good idea.

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not. It's hard enough putting on long sleeved heavy jacket for rigorous training forget about an extra layer. Plus, I kind of think it's weird of Americans to be so modest and formal when t-shirts aren't often worn under gi in Japan. In Okinawa where it's hot shirts sometimes aren't worn at all.

http://oronokarate.weebly.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: