Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there for 15 days this summer. Pretty awesome. I miss it.

Dojo bar is awesome. Don't forget the habu sake.

The beaches are beautiful. There are places to take excursions to islands- I recommend them. It's like paradise.

SEE THE AQUARIUM.

English is not a second language so don't expect it to be. I spent much time on google translate.

Also I rented a mobile hotspot for the time I was there. Came in handy as hell. I had free wifi calling for my trip using an app.

Yes - learn to be polite.

Where are you staying?

If you have special food requirements consider them NOW.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheesefrysamurai wrote:
I was there for 15 days this summer. Pretty awesome. I miss it.

Dojo bar is awesome. Don't forget the habu sake.

The beaches are beautiful. There are places to take excursions to islands- I recommend them. It's like paradise.

SEE THE AQUARIUM.

English is not a second language so don't expect it to be. I spent much time on google translate.

Also I rented a mobile hotspot for the time I was there. Came in handy as hell. I had free wifi calling for my trip using an app.

Yes - learn to be polite.

Where are you staying?

If you have special food requirements consider them NOW.

We are staying at the Hotel New Century in Okinawa City. My son and I are 2 of about 23 in the group, and the only ones going who train Isshin Ryu, the other 21 people going are Shorin Ryu. We all hang out during the day and then off to our respective dojo's for training in the evening.

We are going to be taking in the sights, monuments, visiting the tombs, and training....My perfect idea of a vacation!!

Spsosicmcise
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready to eat some outstanding food. I love the food here I can't think of any place I've went here and not left satisfied with what I ate.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spsosicmcise wrote:
Get ready to eat some outstanding food. I love the food here I can't think of any place I've went here and not left satisfied with what I ate.

I wholeheartedly concur. If the local cuisine isn't to your liking, there are familiar food staples there as well!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One term and concept to learn and accept is shima jikan. It means "island time". As with all island cultures, people tend to be quite loose on time. It should be no surprise if something or someone due for a specific time is not exactly at the time intended. Especially outside of the more tourist oriented places.

If the time is supposed to be 10 o clock, expect 10:15-10:20ish. Buses are notorious for this and that is the way it is unless it is a formal event or business meeting or something of that nature.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangepair03,

I have made the trip many times. I think you will enjoy your time there. Sounds like you have made prior arrangements to train. If you did not already know this, make sure you bring a gift the first time you meet your Shinshii, even if you have previously trained and are returning it is customary to present him with a gift.

Good luck and have fun.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the gift giving thing is quite serious and extents to Okinawan and Japan culture as well. An appropriate visit gift is nothing extraordinary or very expensive and it is usually based on one's social relationship with the person one is visiting.

A popular thing to offer is a specialty of wherever one is coming from such as fancy candies or a good wine. Perhaps something unique from your native region? Better still if one happens to know the person's tastes. If possible ask someone who knows.

Also avoid at all costs giving anything in 4s or sets of 4. 4 is to Japanese what 666 is to superstitious Westerners. All around bad, bad mojo because 4 and "death" are pronounced the same in Japanese. It is also a very negative symbol in Buddhist influenced cultures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: