Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Grading cretiria lesson, please show your dojo as well. w-b Reply with quote

GRADE LEVEL BELT KATA REQUIRED To grade

10th Kyu to 9th Kyu yellow tip 6 lesson
9th Kyu to 8th Kyu yellow Taigyoku Sho-dan 16 lesson
8th Kyu to 7th Kyu (ho) orange tip 28 lesson
7th Kyu (ho) to 7th Kyu orange Taigyoku Ni-dan 44 lesson
7th Kyu to 6th Kyu green Saifa 72 lesson
6th Kyu to 5th Kyu blue Saifa 112 lesson
5th Kyu to 4th Kyu red Bassai-Dai 157 lesson
4th Kyu to 3rd Kyu brown Bassai-Dai 202 lesson
3rd Kyu to 2nd Kyu brown Seiunchin 257 lesson
2nd Kyu to 1st Kyu brown Empi 305 lesson
1st Kyu to Shodan-ho black (prov.) Sepai 357 lesson
Shodan-ho to Sho-dan black Sepai 450 lesson (Black belt )

Are Instrutor must be sure if our students is good enough to grade and must be trainning regulary.

Am a 7th kyu been trainning for about 8 months regulary and three or four more month going for 6th kyu green belt.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it is decent?

ESA-Shotokan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Grading Reply with quote

When I was with the KUGB coloured-belt grading system, you were able to grade approximately every three to four months. The rules stated that you had to train at least twice per week for three months, or 24 lessons.

Twenty-four lessons? How sad is that? I personally believe that as you advance, even the kyu grades should have much longer periods between them. Purple belts (there are two of them)should be a very minimum of six to eight months between gradings and brown belts (three of them) should be at least a year between each.

It is very possible to get your shodan in three years and that is just too easy. I realsie shodan is first level and all that and I'm not saying you should be made to wait and be punished but too many people pass through kyu gradings with the very bare, minimum of ability.

Thankfully, most shodan candidates do fall at this fence but still, a lot get through and you wonder why.

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grade when a person is ready.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don';t test with a "minimum" number of classes as a guideline, but there is a loosely followed MINIMUM time period which is followed.

9-7th kyu ---MINIMUM of 2 months before grading.
6-4th kyu ---MINIMUM of 3 months before grading.
3-1st kyu ---MINIMUM of 4 months before grading.

As I said, this is a loosely followed guideline and not set in stone by any means. If the student, after the above time period passes, isn't ready to test, then he/she doesn't test.

Currently, I have one student (51 years old) who has been a 3rd kyu for nearly 4 years now, just because he hasn't quite "clicked" on where I want him to be for the next belt level. He is my most dependable student in attendance (rarely misses a class) and he's OK with the fact he's not where he needs to be, yet trys hard every class. I told him the first of this year that I'm going to do everything in my power to get him where I want him for his Shodan before the end of 2004. This includes private classes beyond regular classes if I have to, and I won't be charging for these. He smiled at me..and said "GREAT!"

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think am from those worthless blackbelt clubs am worried!!!!

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sho -ji of course we greade people when they're ready sensei come to you and ask if you are ready in my dojo theres a blue belt that fail her grades 3 imes and been practice for about over 2 years.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, why don't you tell us a bit more about your club?
a simple name check against whatever organisation will turn up loads of info.

well, it should....

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he didn't have reponse for that one

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My organisation (the FSK) holds gradings every 3 months at a central grading site for the North of England. However, most students don't tend to grade every time. It's usually about 6 or 9 months between grading, although my instructor will only allow someone to grade if they're ready - regardless of how long they've been waiting to grade.

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: