Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thuggish
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: kung fu, muay thai, wrestling,

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Grapplers who grapple Reply with quote

hey, i have a question for all you grapplers out there. bjj, sambo, greco-roman wrestling... which do you all think is best (or any others you may practice or know about) and WHY- i.e. what techniques/philosophy in your opinions make it better than the others; that is, geared towards a street fight or something of that nature.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrestling can be very devestating on the street because Takedowns mean alot on a hard surface..and wrestlers are very good at it
however If i had to pick one it would be BJJ...another thing to consider is how good wrestlers are at staying on their feet.

BJJ+wrestling is a great combo.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why restrict yourself to the methods and techniques of one style? Take what works

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Kamidake
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure am glad you brought that point up! I am new to this, and a little bewildered by all the discussion about "styles." I can see where it has a place in the sporting versions of the martial arts; you don't want to go to a karate tournament and find yourself disqualified for doing something that is supposed to be confined to aikido, or vice versa. But in real-world applications, why does everyone care so much about what style something is? Either it works or it doesn't.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing...

If I give you a rank in Aikido and no one else will recognize that rank, you will either have to forget everything you know or stay with me.

Same within different styles and their sub styles. If you have a rank in Shotokan karate and you go to a goju ryu school, you are now a white belt. (A crushing blow to the ego) So you're much more likely to stay with the Shotokan school where you can be an "advanced" student, instead of a "beginner" somewhere else.

Andrew Green

Kamidake
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks!

Of course, that marketing technique doesn't work on those of us who don't give a rat's fundoshi about belts, or ranks! Anybody else like me out there?

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a judo/wrestling background. Judo is great for stand up throwing in the street, not many people can break fall. I knocked a guy out with suki nage.

Wrestling is awsome for street fighting, the rules of wrestling do not allow for stalling at all so you can do a lot of damage in a short time. That is if your training in wrestling both for comp. and self defence.

BJJ is great for mma and ring fighting, even as a self defence art but I would rather be on top in the street and get back to my feet as quick as I could.

Cyph
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider any of them to be the 'best'.

They're all different. Wrestling has AWESOME take downs - I've been thrown around the room by wrestlers before, I just don't think anything compares to their takedowns.

BJJ has excellent submissions which wrestling doesn't have - it doesn't have any.

Sambo guys are excellent at leg locks, generally much better than your BJJ guys.

As, Andrew Green said:

Why restrict yourself to the methods and techniques of one style? Take what works

I very much agree with this, this is what we're doing at the moment, we've got our boxing, muay thai, BJJ, greco, Judo. We take techniques from everywhere!

masterfu
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: ninjutsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: my opinion Reply with quote

in my opinion i dont think bjj is that great at all from what i have seen of it, theres one arm bar, one rear choke, and no sweeps take downs or anything else
have grappled two bjj grapplers and both were horrible and had no idea what to do when i reversed their techniques escaped or locked them up
prefer the japanese version of ju jutsu and for the bjj its more a sport than anything else and is ineffective in any form for actual combat

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you haven't actually seen BJJ done by anyone with any skill.

Andrew Green
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: