Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

coltmakai
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....give me your discriptions of the guards.
CLOSED
OPEN
SPIDER
etc......
I want to make sure I am doing them correctly

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close guard, your ankles are crossed on the back of your oponent and your arms around his neck and you squeez it against your body. Defensive guard to wear down.

Open guard. you have your feet on the oponents hips and your arms holding the sleeve or collar of his gi, for control and you can plan your attacks, armbars, chokes and sweep. Most of the guard techniques can be performed in this position.

Spider Guard, one foot on your oponents Hip, the other foot on your oponents biceps, both hands holding the sleeve of his Gi. Control your stand up oponent trying to pass your guard, Lots of attacks can be performed as well.

hope this helps.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spider guard can also be done with both your feet on your opponents biceps, or one on the bicep, the opther hooked under the inner thighs.

There are four safe places for the feet when you have your opponent in the guard: crossed around his back(closed), on his hips (no specific name), hooked underneath his thighs (sitting this is called "butterfly guard", standing it is "open with hooks in"), on his biceps (spider guard). It is good to experiment with different combinations: one foot hooked and one on the hip, one on the hip and one on the bicep, etc. etc.

Another newer and less common guard is the "Dela Riva" guard. Your left foor is snaked behind and through his right leg, left leg on his hip. I will post a pic is I later find it.

Most submissions are performed from the closed guard. Sweeps are from the open guard. The closed guard is good defensively to subdue an opponent, the open guard is harder to maintain and considered more "aggressive" because it is intended mostly to sweep your opponent.

Girls kick butt!

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! Thanks good info. lol

K4j4 S1n1s
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

There are only two guards - open and closed. Everything else is a variation.

One that nobody has mentioned is the triangle guard. This is a very tight position that is only possible for those with longish legs against those with smallish waists but if you get it it is very difficult to pass. Just imagine a triangle choke but around the waist.

Does the half guard count as a guard? It is not a position I would choose from the bottom but it does happen a lot. I've been working submissions from there recently both from the top and the bottom.

We also work the far open guard. This is nothing more than one person standing and one on the their back. Even if the person standing is 10m away, if they cannot get around your legs then they are still technically in your guard. This is where we work "stand up in base" and other things like how to kick without losing position.

Quote:
Girls kick A$$

Yes.... they sure do

K4JA

[ This Message was edited by: K4j4 S1n1s on 2002-08-03 09:01 ]

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....half guard....the person in the guard has one of his legs trapped in a figure four by the bottom person....it's pretty hard to pass, but the person on top has a few limited submission oppurtunities. I don't like being on the bottom of this position, it makes me uncomfortable, so I see it is a gateway to the open guard...usually I end up here when someone is mounted on me and I am trying to elbow escape out.

Girls kick butt!

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

closed guard , open guard, spider guard, butterfly guard

different reasons for using each of them, depends on the situation, good luck

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

closed guard, used to control your opponent
open guard , when your about to use a technique
butterfly, this is the position where i do alot of sweeps
spider guard, different way of controlling your opponent, you can attack from this position also, and make your opponent work hard,
the spider guard is great, learn it

good luck

metamorph
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I copied the parts I agreed with from other ppl so I didn't have to type as much and then added some.

Closed guard, your ankles are crossed on the back of your opponent and your arms around his neck and you squeez it against your body. Defensive guard to ppl wear down.

Open guard. you have your feet on the oponents hips and your arms holding the sleeve or collar of his gi, for control and you can plan your attacks, armbars, chokes and sweep. Most of the guard techniques can be performed in this position.

Spider Guard, one foot on your opponents Hip, the other foot on your oponents biceps, both hands holding the sleeve of his Gi. different way of controlling your opponent, you can attack from this position also, and make your opponent work hard
The Spider Guard can also be done with both your feet on your opponents biceps, or one on the bicep, the opther hooked under the inner thighs.

Butterfly guard, shins on their inner thighs, user mainly for sweeps

Half Guard, there are several types of half guard. you can cross your feet, figure four your legs and hook his leg with your foot (not very smart), and you can bring the outside leg inside to act as a hook (that's what i do). if he stands up, you can also grab his near leg and sit on your * while feeding his far sleeve between his legs.

Dela Riva Guard, Your left foot is snaked behind and through his right leg, left leg on his hip. Used for sweeps

Rubber guard, one leg as if in open guard the other leg high in their armpit and across their back with you holding on to that ankle. used for kickass submissions because of how you can use your legs

Roleta half guard, Can't explain well so I will post a pic

metamorph
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: