Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chalkieusa
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: How does one start over? Reply with quote

How does someone start to teach martial arts, after being with someone for about 20 years actively? (Known this person for 30 years). I recently quit an organization after 20 years, because the Head Instructor accused my wife , also an instructor, of trying tho take over his school/organization. Both of us ran very sucessful branches of his school (3), and I as well ran his tournaments, (the tournaments I ran for free!). IMy wife and I helped out whenever and where ever we could, and all without being paid, except for the actual running of our schools. I added some old checks up, and I know I must have made this guy about $12 - 15 k in a year! Tell me how this butt head thinks he can still tell me what I can't and can do? This guy was so bold as to write and call the students who stayed with us and tell them that we (my wife and I) aren't real instructors any more, since we aren't teaching for him or his organzation. Yet, I was not permitted to explain to the students that I left behind as to our side of the story as to what happened and our exit from the school. I'm sure that they all heard his side, but not ours! Has any else dealt with this? What's your experience? Any and all comments are welcome!!!

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did know a self-promoted "Master" a number of years ago that would kick long time instructors out of his association (American Korean Karate association--now defunct I think) for daring to disagree with his policies and methods.

It might help if you we knew what system you are practicing/teaching?

He might be able to pull the school out from under you, and probably a bunch of the students also, but he can't take your skills away. Find another organization if you think yo uneed to affiliate with one, suck it up, and start all over again. With 20 years experience, you should be able to start fresh again with little problem.

some of the students went with you? Good, that gives you a starting base core group taht you can build on. Also, if you ran the tournaments for this other guy and made him money...why not have one of your own down the road a bit? Invite your former "friend", but I'll bet he won't go to it. Other participants should still attend if they aren't affiliated with this other guy.

Don't you think it's about time that you and your wife started seeing some fruit from your labors?

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it depends on how good a business man this guy is..

If he is a good business man then he had you sign a no compete clause, that says something along the lines that if you leave the school or are terminated you cannot steal or take students with you for a period of time, generally a 1 year period. Also that you wont recruit or steal his intructors, and probably also the curriculum that he has created, that wasnt passed down to him.

If he did you are pretty much screwed.

Now most martial arts instructors are terrible businessmen..

so most likely you will be fine.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be the bigger man.

Let those who want to go back to him go back. Start teaching on your onw. Get with another org or assoc. or not it really dont matter. Start teaching in the end the students will go to the best school.

BTW I think it is very important to teach training history to your class. Always mention him and speak of him with respect let your kids make the call they will be loyal to you in the end. If you down the guy or try and ignore your training history one day your students will do that of you as well.

In the end its all about respect, pride and honor. When we die thats all we got.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
Actually, I did know a self-promoted "Master" a number of years ago that would kick long time instructors out of his association (American Korean Karate association--now defunct I think) for daring to disagree with his policies and methods.

It might help if you we knew what system you are practicing/teaching?

He might be able to pull the school out from under you, and probably a bunch of the students also, but he can't take your skills away. Find another organization if you think yo uneed to affiliate with one, suck it up, and start all over again. With 20 years experience, you should be able to start fresh again with little problem.

some of the students went with you? Good, that gives you a starting base core group taht you can build on. Also, if you ran the tournaments for this other guy and made him money...why not have one of your own down the road a bit? Invite your former "friend", but I'll bet he won't go to it. Other participants should still attend if they aren't affiliated with this other guy.

Don't you think it's about time that you and your wife started seeing some fruit from your labors?

Great point

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a falling out with my old 'Master'. He asked me to lie about a decision he made to kick a student out. I wouldn't, and left. I am now is biggest competition in town.

Your comments sound bitter, and it seems that bitterness comes from the hurt of being thrown out after 20 years of loyalty. Let the hurt and bitterness go, and turn that into positive energy. Things happen for a reason...this may be the time for you and your wife to open your own school. You thread was 'How do you start over'. You don't have to start over...take what you know and go with it. You don't need your old instructor to validate whether you are an instructor or not. There are other associations. If you would like to email me I can tell you about the one I am associated with mike@whitetigeracademy.com.

Best of luck to you...keep your head up!

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White_Tiger wrote:
I had a falling out with my old 'Master'. He asked me to lie about a decision he made to kick a student out. I wouldn't, and left. I am now is biggest competition in town.

Your comments sound bitter, and it seems that bitterness comes from the hurt of being thrown out after 20 years of loyalty. Let the hurt and bitterness go, and turn that into positive energy. Things happen for a reason...this may be the time for you and your wife to open your own school. You thread was 'How do you start over'. You don't have to start over...take what you know and go with it. You don't need your old instructor to validate whether you are an instructor or not. There are other associations. If you would like to email me I can tell you about the one I am associated with mike@whitetigeracademy.com.

Best of luck to you...keep your head up!

What is your opnion that qualifies someone as a good MA instructor?
As a master?
As a good self defense instructor?
As a successful Martial Arts entrepeneur?

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47MartialMan wrote:

What is your opnion that qualifies someone as a good MA instructor?
As a master?
As a good self defense instructor?
As a successful Martial Arts entrepeneur?

I will try and keep my answers short.

Question #1: What is your opnion that qualifies someone as a good MA instructor? Someone who cares about his/her students, and cares about the instruction that is being taught. Integrity of the program is first and foremost.

Question #2: As a master? Someone who lives the tenents and stands for the very essense of the art that is being taught. Someone who is willing to listen to the ideas and concerns of a White Belt, and doesn't think they have learned everything there is to know.

Question #3: As a good self defense instructor? Someone who understands the complete application of the techniques they are teaching. Is open to questions of why, or why not the techniques may work. Patience!

Question #4: As a successful Martial Arts entrepeneur? A person who sells a good product at a good price. Someone who can go to sleep at night knowing they are giving $2 fo service for every $1 they take in. It is not the 'car salesman' (and I mean no disrepect to car salesmen) who can sign an uneducated conumer to an over priced 3 year contract.

Let me know what you think 47MartialMan.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very good.....
Have you heard on Tunnel Hill, Ga?

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have heard of Tunnel Hill...it is about as far away from Valdosta, GA (Where I live) as you can get without leaving the state!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: