Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter whatever it is, footwork occurs.

From normal and everyday commonalities to much more complex usages, footwork occurs. And the beauty of the whole thing is that not one is owned, but much more shared than one might ever realize.

If the footwork is labored, then the footwork is quite tasked. However, if the footwork isn't labored, then the footwork isn't tasked, and in that, it's much more natural...without thought.

Footwork that is labored, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. How so? When footwork is introduced, as it is in the MA, the learning curve isn't all that familiar, in which, anything that is new, it'll be tasked. That will pass in time.

If after some time that the footwork is still tasked, then either the learning curve is lengthened by either the student just isn't understanding what must be done, and/or the instructor, him/herself, doesn't understand the nuances of footwork. The fault must be addressed immediate so that improvements can be reached, somehow...someway...somewhere!!

I can do more move efficiently away from my currently position than the man on the moon if I don't understand what's all required and involved in footwork. EITHER ONE CAN OR ONE CAN'T...the individual must decide the ability of achievements discovered within solid footwork.

I've had students struggle forever and a day on the most complex, yet the most easiest of turns...the 270 degree turn...aka...the Big Turn because they're thinking way to hard on the darn thing, and all they have to do is just do the darn thing...just turn!!

Once they stop overly thinking about the big turn, it's as natural to them, just as easy as it is to go from one room in their house to another room.

"Don't think...FEEL!! It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

Learn the footwork...practice the footwork...understand the footwork...master the footwork...repeat the process over and over because anything mastered, becomes new, and anything new, must be learned...and so on and so forth as one's betterment is improved, not just once, but for the rest of your life...daily...without ceasing!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like katas, the lack of agility in the footwork Dept. does need to be questioned.

My personal preference when sparring is to always have at least one foot pointing at the opponent and when letting loose, finishing off with hand combinations, both feet are pointing towards the opponent.

My footwork pointing method, is a part my overall mind and intent posture, including knees, elbows, hands and forehead for head-butting with, all for one and one for all; pointing like missiles towards the target.

If my weapon (a knee for instance) isn't being used offensively pointed then it is used as a defensive deflecting device, that can quickly change in to a weapon within the same movement, this can save time and is effective.

Point being, my footwork is synchronized with all of my striking abilities.

This is why in Muay Thai, legs are major targets, to cut down the opponent's mobility, which weakens all the other options connected with them.

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footwork is a subtle thing.
one does it over and over and feels that one is getting nowhere and all of a sudden one just does it at the apropriate time.
i find that the strength in the hips and legs is required for fast footwork.

pink

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Footwork was very important to Bruce Lee.

As he was making money from his voyage from Hong Kong to the USA with dance lessons.

I'm sure if the martial arts didn't work out for him, then look out Fred Astaire, Bruce Lee dance schools would be still buzzing with his insights till this day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: