Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know Grand Masters have personal lives. I'm an instructor and I used to smoke myself. My growth in Tae kwon Do halted and went downhill, upon getting addicted to cigarettes. I quit now, because I just couldn't grow physically and mentally in my Tae kwon do training while being a prisoner of Nicotine. In addition it was not setting a good example for my students. Although I was a smoker, I feel uneasy that my Grand Master is a hypocrite. He believes in promoting "physical health", and "mental well-being".

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-06-23 00:31 ]

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have never smoked or even tried it for that matter. However, I do feel that any instructor should not smoke for the exact reasons you stated. As a Master esp. you should show restraint and strength in saying no to pressure of society.

Pete

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Master smokes, it's his life. It's not like he's smoking while he teaches (I hope).

I'm sure people here drink, and that can be seen as a negative as well. Do you fault fellow students or masters for having a beer? Not really a big difference.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon becomming a teacher we take it upon ourselves to set a certin example.

None of us are without sin. Then as Jesus said let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Now I don't think smoking is a sin I mean Moses did not put that down as the 11th comandments. However NEVER ask your students to do anything you won't. You can not say don't smoke and light up after class.

Bottom line is we all have flaws. However this is like the Pastor of a church going to the stip bar or the school teacher doing drugs. When we put ourselves in the public eye we are expected to live up to a certin standard. LIke it or not. Yeah we are role models....

However don't disrespect the man because he has one tragic flaw......

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with G95. I couldnt have said it better if I made my english teacher say it for me. lol

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-22 23:21, Iron Arahat wrote:
Your Master smokes, it's his life. It's not like he's smoking while he teaches (I hope).

I'm sure people here drink, and that can be seen as a negative as well. Do you fault fellow students or masters for having a beer? Not really a big difference.

Yes, it is his life....How can you compare "having a drink" and smoking as not really a big difference???

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke socially, don't drink, and not once, not ever, did I have sexual relations with Monica

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters as long as he doesn't do it during class and he doesn't smell like smoke.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreantiger I compare drinking and smoking, because they are both legalized pastimes, and both have negative health affects.

Also both are not necesssarily tolerated by others. Just to look at it from a different viewpoint that's all.

Role model or not, he's not breaking the law, and he's not hurting anyone but himself (unless he's smoking in class).

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My master (TSD) smoked. Did I hate him for it? No. It didn't affect the way he taught. I didn't hold it against him, because he didn't tell me not to do it when he did.

My master now drinks on occasion. Do I hate him for it? No, because like the one above. It doesn't affect the way he teaches, and he doesn't tell me not to do it when he does.

I think that's fair. As long as they don't tell you not to do it when they do, or don't do it while teaching, I don't see a problem with it. They are human, not gods. No one is perfect.

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-06-23 22:39 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: