Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shuriken_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoliosis is a lateral curve of your spinal column. When your spine is curved 40 degrees or more they do surgery and put metal bolts in your spine...my worst curve is 33 degrees...
So I have a back brace to prevent it from getting worse and having to get surgery. I'm 15 so they caught the scoliosis late.

Anyway, this back brace makes it so I can't bend my whole midsection. I can take it off 4 hours a week, so I get to take it off when I have karate class (3 hours a week). FORTUNATELY I only have to wear it for a year.

I want to practice karate and be able to work out, but the brace makes it very hard.
Has anyone else had this kind of problem or have any ideas of practice I can do just using my arms?
Maybe I should punch pillows. That would also help with the frustration...

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that, but good thing it's only for a year, so you can start training as much as you want when you're 16 which is still pretty young. Plus you can still take it off for karate, so look at the bright side.

El Guerrero Loco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had scoliosis, he too took it off to work out and stuff. He is now a blackbelt, he seems fine with it tho. Pillows might be to soft to punch in frustration, try the doctor who diagnosed you! jokes, maybe a heavybag would help. Hope ur training still goes well, hope ya get better.

Nickgarren
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with your doctor as to what he will allow you to do. Just go easy with your karate until you get better. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back, sciatic, spinal stenosis, just a really messed up lower back. Constant pain, it never stops. On 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst 0 being none the lowest the pain goes is about a 2. When it hits 5 and above, well it's pretty painful.
Just keep a good outlook on life. You're young, the body can do amazing things as long as the mind is in a positive state.
God bless.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear of this shuriken_girl, I wish you all of the best in recovery. You can still attend all of your Karate classes, so that is a definite plus. If you want to be able to train outside of class, you can sit on your bed or on the toilet seat () Practicing your hand techniques.

You can also train your mind. Research your chosen art, learn about its roots and founders. Meditate, learn to remain peaceful and focused, happy and respectful. You have been given a situation from which to work from, the past has been done... now what will you do with the future?

Best wishes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you can still study the thoery.....sorry to hear about your situation.....but im sure you can cheer up and make the most out of this. Im sure you will heal and get back to your training. Until then stay happy and keep your knowledge growing.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be very frustrating for you at times shuriken_gir. And anytime you want to talk to me feel free to email me at yahoo or send me a pm.

With creativity and persistance you will find new ways to train and to adapt what you are allready doing. Punching bags are great for the frustration - trust me.

In case you don't allready know it I have multiple sclerosis and have trained around a lot of challanges over the years. The most important thing is what ever happens don;t quit.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuriken_Girl,

Stay strong, Stay focused!!! Follow your Doc's advice, rest properly and heal up to 100%. In the end everything will work out. You have your friends and family for immediate support, and then you have your forum family for extended support.

Take care

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I justed turned 16 today and I have I slight form of scoliosis, I don't really now what all you can't do that would be better. But I think it would be great for pushup cause it keeps your back strait for you! :pony:

shuriken_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it's only a year and if I just practice what I can during that time, the inconvenience can only make me stronger afterward.
I'm sorry to hear that Nickgarren and Saifight I admire your strength.

One cool thing I can do now though is a low roundhouse kick we just learned. It's easy but I'm practicing it a lot anyway.

I think the worst thing about this brace, besides poor mobility and pain is how I have to wear really loose clothes now.
Equally marring my looks is that the straight plastic skims over my butt, making it appear completely flat.
I'm a flat-butt!!

(hehe even though it *is* rather misfortunate, I can't help laughing at my own reflection in the mirror. my butt really does look totally flat, if you can imagine that)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: