Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cmiddlebrook
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Improving flexibility at age 47? Possible? Reply with quote

I've come back to karate after a break of a few years. The time before that I also had a break of a few years and the time before that

In short, I've done karate on and off since my teenage years but I have lost the flexibility I had when I was young. I'm wondering if it's possible to get it back at my age now? I'm 47 and female if that makes any difference.

To put it in perspective, I'm not horribly inflexible, but there's a lot of room for improvement. I can do a front kick comfortably to chest height, to chin height on a good day on my good leg Box splits, although I've never measured it I'd guess my butt is around 18 inches from the floor.

If I incorporate a regular stretching routine, is it possible to regain the flexibility of a young person and be able to do real box splits to the floor and kick comfortably past head height?

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not. 47 is not an old age.

I have a student who started back up last year after a couple of decades out of karate. Although he had been active in other physical training during that time period, he had recently, for the past 5 or so years, done nothing. He has gotten in better shaped and added flexibility in less than a year.

He is 51 years old.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always possible to increase one’s flexibility. Age is only a factor when considering recovery time. If the right approach is taken it is absolutely posisible to make significant gains in flexibility. Stretching consistently and regularly can benefit anyone of any age.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly improve your flexibility, but at an older age, it will take longer. It's easier to get injured and take longer to heal, so you have to be patient.

I would encourage you to realistically look at your needs. I was more flexible in my 30's than now in my 50's, but I can still do head-level kicks. I don't do a lot of them, though, nor much jumping and spinning. I did that in my 30's, and a side-effect I didn't appreciate was I had back pain. Besides, those flashy kicks are more for exercise and agility than practicality.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resumed training in the martial arts last fall after a many year hiatus at the ripe (and inflexible) young age of 46. I can speak from experience that you CAN improve your flexibility. In fact just the other day I was able to do a mawashi geri to my partner's shoulder level while doing a set of kicking drills.
(It surprised the heck out of me).

Whether you can get to where you want to (kicking to head height or above, and full box splits), I cannot say, but if you keep practicing and taking the next step forward, you'll definitely get better than you were.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me, that to ask the question, of if it is possible to gain flexibility at 47 is more of a question of gaining confidence towards becoming more flexible than is it really possible to.

Those that stretch regularly with little gains aren't likely to keep trying as with all things there are better ways of doing things correctly.

The subject of stretching and flexibility can be subjective as opinions differ from one person's perspective to another.

My opinion of is it possible to become more flexible at 47 is a big yes.

Becoming more flexible for martial artists is different than for those that do yoga, dance, gymnastics and contortionists, as we aim to strike moving objects with power and speed, therefore our intentions aren't the same as everyone else, this is something to keep in mind.

By focusing on stretching for martial art betterment alone without mixing it with none kicking disciplines, you will gain more of what you need towards becoming an effective kicker, as this is the real reason to gain flexibility, is it not?

Recommended video for you.

https://youtu.be/3OGrN4joqhQ

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a maxim that states...If you don't use it, you will lose it!! Speaks volums to me. If one wants to flexible then one will have to do what's required to achieve, and then maintain it. What one does to earn that flexibility will be a hit and miss for THAT practitioner.

Key: STRETCH but correctly!!

Hang in there, and remember, Rome wasn't built in one day.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a person is not accustomed to stretching then practicing pandiculation might be a good way to start and building upone from there.
https://youtu.be/IAeDPQKv7Wo

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the OP was "one and done".

Anyway, despite decades of martial arts training, more on than off, but mostly off in the last few years (my 50's!) I haven't had a disciplined stretching routine. That is, I know I should stretch most every day, but I haven't. Once I got away from the Korean arts and lots of kicking, I didn't feel like I needed it that much.

Well, that's changed. I've started stretching every day as part of my morning routine, and it feels great to loosen up and energize my body for the day.

Fortunately, though I was inconsistent I didn't let things go too much, and my body has it's muscle memory. The trick will be not overdoing it when my mind thinks it can do something I used to do, before I'm ready!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: