Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Improving Resistence Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'd like to improve my resistence, i used to go to the gym, but due to studies, i couldn't keep in it, so, i'd like you give me some workout i can do to improve my condition, specially my resistence.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason weight training is also known as "resistance" training. You should maintain a sense of continuous tension throughout the entire movement of the rep regardless of how quickly you perform the rep or what rep scheme you are using. Think of how a tight rubberband might look being stretched back and forth between your thumb and forefinger. Try to mimic that continuous tightness with your reps.

What about the "pause at the top?" The only variance to the tension is at the point of maximum contraction right before you return the weight to its starting position. When you reach the tightest point of flexion, pause to squeeze as hard as you can for at least a second. As blood floods the area, this becomes noticeably uncomfortable due to the accompanying down to the bone tightness.

You should feel maximum tension mainly in the targeted muscle group. If you are doing a compound, multi-joint movement (like squatting) other body parts come into play and you will feel them working. Assisting body parts should never overtake the work of the intended muscle group.

A prime example of this would be when you see a person using too much weight on cable chest flys. You will see them pulling the cables in from their shoulder sockets, often to the point of hunching their shoulders and traps down and forward. Should that tension happen on a chest movement?

Even high rep sets should feel like work. Your muscles are working against resisting forces of evil. You should be feeling like you are laboring at least to some degree even if you do not push every set to the point of failure. WORK the muscle BOTH directions. Don't use momentum to swing it up and only work it on the way to the starting position. Don't struggle to lift it only to pause and relax at the top before simply letting the weight drop back down.

If you are sweating, feeling a pump, tight burning, and a challenging sense of fatigue, you are on the right path. If you never sweat except for a little toward the end of your workout, you are taking too long of rests between sets, not keeping continual tension, going too light, or talking too much.

Special Note on Soreness: The next day, the targeted muscle group area may feel sore. This is known as Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and is a completely normal reaction attributable to the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscle. It should go away within a few days. If the wrong parts of you seem sore, be sure the next time you train that body part that you are mindful of feeling that particular muscle being the one being trained.

Lifting weights is an opportunity for challenging yourself and getting in better shape. As with any athletic sport, resistance training has important safety guidelines that need to be followed.
If you don't know how to perform an exercise or use a particular piece of equipment, ask a trainer or staff member at your gym who can get you some help.

Last edited by KickChick on Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post KickChick!

If you can't find time to get to the gym, make time.
Or you can always go the calisthenics route - these require no equipment -Hindu Pushups, Hindu Squats, Back Bridge, Pullups, Dips and the like. You get resistance but not progressive resistance, but are still good at building strength and endurance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began to do pushups for my triceps and pectorals, but they also help to improve my resistance?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: