Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: insomnia... Reply with quote

Don't know if i spelt that rite but i mean not sleeping.

I've noticed if i don't train at some point during the day i can't sleep. I found myself laying awake last night unable to sleep. I ended up going for a 6mile run to burn some energy. I wouldn't mind but if i don't get enough sleep i feel terrible the next day.

It seems i need my sleep but can't get any unless i've used my quotta of energy for that day. Does anyone else get this?

I am training very hard at the moment, what do you suggest?

Bretty

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: insomnia... Reply with quote

Bretty101 wrote:
I am training very hard at the moment, what do you suggest?
Bretty

A sure sign of overtraining!
Also avoid training late at night because adrenalin and noradrenalin generated by training, interferes with normal sleep.
The rule is, if you train at night and start to suffer from restlessness, or the inability to
fall asleep, getting up too early you are overtraining. You may also
experience abnormal mood swings during the day, and a loss of motivation. Cut back!

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from it to but it is not from over training. I have always suffered from it. Their are different stages of sleep. Unless you get to the final stage you do not get much rest. You have to rest longer if you are say only in the first or second stage. I feel better sometimes when I only get 4 hours of deep sleep compared to 8 hours of light sleep.

I do different things to help me. I exercise before I go to bed even do stretches. That gets your muscles tired. I then read a little bit so I can forget any stress for the day. Thinking at night about your stressful things can keep you awake. I then make sure I have a little something in my stomach before I go to bed (it is suppose to be an hour before) If all else fails I take a medicine on the really sleepless nights. (I've been subscribed muscle relaxers) That can get you back on a good sleep track. However sleeping pills can become addictive so I stay away from them.

Insomnia has always been something I deal with. The thing that helps me is making sure I dont get lazy and burn no energy. If I dont burn at least some energy then I dont sleep. (burning to much also can make you not sleep. The meduim range is what I try to achieve)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: