Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kumite Champ
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Calm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Is anyone here felt lucky winning a trophy in the tournament Reply with quote

I know I do, because there wernt alot of oponent to fought with, only ten in my group so came second theres only three or four seriou competitors.

I would like to go to the next tounments to have worked for it.

Mc. Steve
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my first competition was a week before my 17th Birthday and 17 was the group boundry(sp). All my oponents (about 6 of them) were all 14 and one was 12, meaning I could drop an axe kick right on top of their heads with extreme ease. I got second place in forms and sparring. The guy who won was smaller than me, but got 3 points with kicks to the head before I could get 1 . It was pretty much 3 moves, probably all the same I'm ashamed to admit. All on my blind side, so I still don't know what he used.

My second didn't go quite the same. I was in the higher group, and the night before I drunk a large bottle of Rum. All morning before it I was being violently sick, and between doing my form and sparring, I was sick. Then after sparring. Whoops. Still managed to get a second in forms.

Sorry for rambling. I'm looking forward to the next competition, as it should be a real test of what I'm capable of, even though I will be the youngest in the group. Bring on the games!

S

6th Kyu Wado Ryu
5th Gup Tang Soo Do
1st Dan Origami

Ironberg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Karate, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt lucky last week cuz I just turned 18 in January and did some TKD sparring with the big boys in a local tourney. I wasn't able to prepare by sparring a person my own size (hardly am), but sure enough some 20-some year old tall freak strolls in and is also more built than me. I was a bit psyched and therefore didn't spar my best - but I won. I won because the guy was slower. He had all the height and build without the fast twitch in his kicks, and he didn't know how to box.

Then the anticlimactic part came when they made me spar a guy who didn't make my shoulder level. Let's just say I tried not to step on him. Ironically, he was also older.

*Martial Boy*
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I felt a bit of luck cuz my groups were ten people same age as me same belt but am going to get a higher belt soon so I havet an advantage I came 2nd in kata and kumite.

The next tournament will be harder a higher belt like 4th and 5th kyu going agiant me.

But I won't win cuz I know some of the region are tough breeders.

Ironberg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Karate, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Martial Boy* wrote:
But I won't win cuz I know some of the region are tough breeders.

I envy your region. My region is utter crap for competition until you reach blackbelt. Just a few more months of being an "underbelt".

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel lucky every time I win a trophy!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White_Tiger wrote:
I feel lucky every time I win a trophy!

Same here!

I felt particularly lucky when I was a 3rd kyu. I had only graded to brown belt the week before and I was persuaded to enter an Open Forms competition. Obviously, it was the first time I'd entered the '3rd kyu and over' section of a competition, so I was excited but also nervous because I knew I'd be up against black belts. I never expected to win, firstly because it was a big comp and secondly because I'd never been in a category with dan grades before. On the day of the comp it was foul weather (middle of winter!) and quite a few people didn't show for the comp. In my category (ladies, Japanese forms, 3rd kyu and above) there were only 10 or 11 of us - about 16/17 people didn't show for that category. I was the only kyu grade in my category. I did Bassai Dai in the first round and Jion in the second round (bog standard brown belt kata, I didn't know any black belt kata well enough to perform them!). I thought I'd done well and was pleased with how I'd performed them and was glad of the experience. I was sure that the lady stood next to me in the final line-up was going to win. She performed a magnificent Unsu and an equally impressive Kanku Sho. However, she came second and I won! I'm not sure whether the judge just felt sorry for me being the only brown belt or if he just got me mixed up with someone else. lol! Anyway, I felt so lucky to win.

Sorry for the long rambling post, I've had too much beer and its far too late.

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: