Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kev70
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply but college is killing me. I live in Collinsville VA. Our instructor pays a lot of attention to hand maneuvers and finger locks. He is big on submission without doing a lot of physical damage. He loves to talk about the three types of hinges and how to manipulate them. Then again, I think that he just loves to talk

$imoń
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo, Jujutsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i train in shotokan, judo and jujitsu, i think its a good idea because all of them seem to complement each other and fill in the gaps in each others fighting style, (e.g shotokan dosent go down to the ground but judo and JJ do)
in my opinion its a good mix
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

newbalance
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im interested in joining a jiu jitsu studio that is in the process of opening up as i speak. Im just worried about a couple of thing:
1. it is brazillian jui jitsu. what does this mean compared to reg jiu jitsu
2. im a tall lean guy, missing that low center of gravity that is advantageous to wrestlers, which will me an easy target with long weak limbs? is this ignorant speculation?
3.the ultimate fear is getting a dumb instructor and getting something broken because he didnt know what he was doing. A TKD instructor i have sometimes had us grappling one night, and I got put in a full nelson. I never grappled before, and was not told this was an illegal move conservatively speaking, the instructor never made the other guy release, and i had a sprained neck for about 2 weeks. Stupid instructors can be costly, and if my views are right, jui jitsu can be pretty intense with joint locks and submissions, etc.

any advice for a maybe-beginner in jiu jitsu?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: