Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Judo Reply with quote

Is judo an effective street fighting art? Is it good against boxing or karate? Kung Fu? Or any other striking style?

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the situation, if its in a crowded area and close fighting is the only option then it has potential. Against a striker it may be less effective because blocks against strikes are generally not taught.

Valithor
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: GKR Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone trained for some time in Judo?

broomhilda000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: judo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i've trained in judo for about 10 years. I was a white belt the first 4 years, but that's because I couldn't remember the names of the throws or count in japanese well. But I could beat any black belt there with ease. So now I am a 5th degree black belt. My top sensei is a 10 degree, we have the top 4 in state.
Be as a tranquil pool of water in the woods. Calm, collected, reflecting on its surface all that is around it. Make your own mind such a quiet mirror reflecting the mind of the opponent. Even as your partner's impulse to attack passes through his mind it should be reflected in you.

The safest battle is the one that is never fought

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well broomhilda000, maybe you can help sansoouser out with his question.

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broomhilda000 wrote:
yes, i've trained in judo for about 10 years. I was a white belt the first 4 years, but that's because I couldn't remember the names of the throws or count in japanese well. But I could beat any black belt there with ease. So now I am a 5th degree black belt. My top sensei is a 10 degree, we have the top 4 in state.

No 10th dans are alive, it's a rank given to dead judoka's out of respect for O'sensei Kano. To compete you have to know Japanese all the scoring is in Japanese, how did you get by? How long did you train to reach 5th dan? I've trained with the Open Japanese Judo Champ and he was only a 3rd dan and he's trained since the time he was 6. (over 20 years)

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, get close to him, or get him on the ground. Most strikers freak out because they really haven't training on the ground. If you can't get him into a close combat grappling situation, and he can box you enough to keep you away, you are in trouble. It just depends. I'm sure we all heard the Joe Lewis quote:

"If I were to meet a judo man and hit him first, I'll bury him. But if I don't and he grabs me, he'll bury me."

So it all really depends on how good of a Judoka you are, and how good of a Striker he is. But generally, most fights turn into grappling matches, so yeah, Judo would be usefull.

shanemm
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running away is the most effective tactic on the street...but if you really have to fight yes it's very effective against strikes. experience gained though learning to grapple someone is a very handy skill. for example if someone throws a punch at you (considering that this isn't a skilled martial artist) you can just grab their arm and throw them with ippon seoinagi or kata guruma. or if they try and come at you with both hands out to choke or just hold you a decent judoka could throw them with a variation of harai ogoshi. and as stated above if you can get them to the ground a choke or limb lock will be easy to get vs. an inexperienced martial artist. your best bet against a small person is to throw yourself at them and wrestle them to the ground then you should have them easily. while a bigger person you should wait and let them set themselves up for a hip throw or even(if you get really low) a shoulder throw. there are also some hand techniques you can use to effectively convert a punch into a submission move(or at least break their hand if they don't give up). all of the above suggestions are based on Judo lessons(a little Tai Kwan Do thrown in but a lot of Judo). However, in society today weapons are too easy to obtain so always attempt to run away as you don't know what they have in their pocket...

LOILOI44
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broomhilda000 wrote:

If you are a 5th dan in Judo and made that in only 6 years from your white belt then you must have batsaguned every promotional tournament you entered. That's quite impressive. I guess the fact that you study under Yamashita Sensei (the only 10th degree) it's only natural. That is quite a pedigree. I guess we can look foward to seeing you compete in Athens for the U.S.

LOILOI44
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sho-ju wrote:
broomhilda000 wrote:

No 10th dans are alive, it's a rank given to dead judoka's out of respect for O'sensei Kano. To compete you have to know Japanese all the scoring is in Japanese, how did you get by? How long did you train to reach 5th dan? I've trained with the Open Japanese Judo Champ and he was only a 3rd dan and he's trained since the time he was 6. (over 20 years)

Actually there is one 10th Judoka alive today it is Yamashita Sensei. He is the most successful Judoka ever. He won 207 consecutive matches, and only lost 16 in his whole career (15 were in high school competing against adults in open tournaments.) I figured out how Broomhilda went from 1st Dan to 5th Dan in six years. Broomhilda must be part canine. Seven canine years are actually one human year. In 42 years he went from 1st dan to 5th dan. That I believe!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: