Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ESA-Shotokan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Karate Ni Sente Nashi Reply with quote

(In Karate there is no First Strike)

Okay here is my contribution to this phrase which is so evident within our learning of karate-do.

My personal opinion on this has always been, "You should never take the initiative in a confrontation". By this, I am referring to the fact that when an opponent squares up to you, (and I am referring to a non-dojo / competition situation here) they may not actually have any intention than to simply flex their chest and muscles and stare angrily at you with a snotty nose! Once you hit them, things may change somewhat - so why provoke that road?

More important for me is the fact that should you initiate an offensive, your attack may in fact be weak and the resultant strike a confidence booster to your opponent, thus giving them the upper hand, mentally. Further to this, and this does include a dojo / competition scenario, you may show up the fact that you have bad geri techniques by launching with a somewhat weak kick which again, gives your opponent the upper hand. When you start a fight, your best defence/offence is the fact that your opponent does not know your weaknesses or strengths. You want to keep it that way! If you are a "bad kicker" then don't throw kicks but instead, give the impression otherwise. How to do that? By fainting kicks by raising the knee as though to kick and then quickly changing your mind and issuing a punch or similar hand strike. You can then have your opponent waiting for the kick to come and come it will, but in the form of a lower, more powerful kick that is stuck in their stomach.

Hence, in summary, Karate Ni Sente Nashi, for me means, do not hand confidence to your opponent by taking the initiative.

Over to you...

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not disagree with both your points, I tend to take a more philosophical approach to this. One should never put themselves in a position to have to fight. Words, gestures, or body language that provoke a negative response from those around us are a "first strike" just as a kick or punch is. It's about how a martial artist carries themselves in the world that makes a difference. This is the hardest lesson to learn.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse, I was thinking somewhat along those lines as I read the original post.

The fight starts long before a strike is thrown.
It started because someone decided to harm someone else.
Someone got in harms way.
Someone was not aware, or did not recognize the warning signs.
Someone did not diffuse, or let a situation escalate.

The fight is on as soon as you interpret his intent to be hostile. Catch it early enough, you may be able to deescalate. If not, there will come a point where you dang well should get in the first strike. But the fight started long before you took his head off with your anything but weak or ineffective 'first strike.' You want his friends to know that you do know your business and have the will to use your skills to full effect.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm casting my vote for Delta1 and Ninjanurse's answers. I totally agree with what both of you have to say.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system I practice is very defensive, and counter-strike oriented by nature, which suits my personal beliefs perfectly, so as a general rule, we don't strike first in a situation.

However (there's always however's aren't there? lol), what I teach my people is that if the person confronting you is much larger or stronger than you, or if you are faced with more than one aggressor, or if he has a weapon... and an opening is present, I wouldn't hesitate to make the first strike...and make it a good one! Trying to put that person down as quickly and decisively as possible.

DarkAngel_Azrel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has made me think iam not agaisnt hiting firsts
but if u where to wait for your aggressor to throw the first puch .with your skill u should be able to block it which in turn would put them off balance giveing u the opertunaity to counter attack with force. hummm ill have to think about this

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One statement, so many nuances on so many levels. This is definitely a gray area if there ever was one.

Kumite988
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Kata's in karate start with a defensive move for a reason....

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
One statement, so many nuances on so many levels. This is definitely a gray area if there ever was one.

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:
However (there's always however's aren't there? lol)

DarkAngel_Azrel wrote:
This post has made me think iam not agaisnt hiting firsts...with your skill...giveing u the opertunaity to counter attack with force. hummm ill have to think about this

Everything in it's own time and place, and you are the only judge of what's right in any situation where you are assaulted. To quote Mr. Parker, "It's not who's right, but who's left."

I think the main point here is that you stand a far better chance of resolving any situation to your favor if you catch it early, before your opponent strikes or you are forced to take seriouse action yourself. And if it is truly unavoidable, "forewarned is forearmed."

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumite988 wrote:
All Kata's in karate start with a defensive move for a reason....

Not all of those first moves are defensive. A block is a strike, break and or throw when applied properly.

Im with Delta on this one.....

Strike Hard, Strike Fast, Strike First and Strike True!!!!

If the danger is imminent dont wait to be hit. Be a little pro-active its alot safer.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: