Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

*Practice is the key* ^_^
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: No style

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Empty hand' doesn't always mean literally empty - it is supposed to signify the clearing of the mind and body in preperation for training. It also signifies 'empty of any evil intent'.

There are many karate clubs that incorporate weapons training, especially traditional Okinawan style clubs. However, a lot of clubs do borrow weapons and aspects from other styles too. For example, there are Shotokan clubs that train with kobudo weaponary, even though Shotokan is not a traditional weapons-based system.

As for the grapplig, there is a lot of that in karate. It just depends on your instructor as to how much you do. Karate isn't just about kicking and punching, but sometimes the other aspects of it have to be 'looked for'.

Your right every art is not complete.
That one is myself just have been turn down....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that just like so many other things with karate, you can interpret "empty hand" any way you like. There are few absolutes in the world of karate. For every person you find that agrees with your interpretation of something, I can find at least one thousand who disagree ... no matter how far removed from the real world that their interpretation may be.

EvilTed
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: World Oyama Karate San Francisco under Sensei Seito. 2cnd Kyu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaninmus,

"artificial rules for sparring, i.e. no hands to the head, and its disdain for kata"

Do you know anything about Kyokushin?
Have you ever studied it?

Mas Oyama did NOT hve disdain for kata at all. He considered it essential.
He taught Steve Arneil that the only way that a style could remain consistent was to be taught the same way around the world.
He taught him the only way to do this was through kata.

The no face punches rule was introduced to protect people. You can still knee of kick to the face and you can always wear head gear and gloves and do head contact if you want.
There is NOTHING artificial about Kyokushin fighting.
Try it and you will understand.

My advice to you is to find a Kyokushin (or close derivative) dojo and train there for a while and see if there is disdain for kata or you find the fighting artificial.

ET

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedster, I've trained with former Oyama style people who left their schools for the very reasons I haev mentioned. I am also very good friends with a few Kyokushin people. I have no desire to get into a flame war with you. have an amusing day.

EvilTed
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: World Oyama Karate San Francisco under Sensei Seito. 2cnd Kyu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no intention to get into a flame war either.
If you make statements that are felt by some to be incorrect, you should expect people to take you up on them?

You mention Oyama people leaving?
For what reasons exactly and what style do they train now?

Granted, the Kyokushin way is not for everyone.
It takes a strong will as well as a strong body and some people just don't want to take this type of training. That's fine - each to their own.

We have lots of females in our Dojo from kids to 50 years old.
All train hard.
All fight full contact.
All practice with great spirit.
We are not a bunch of meat - headed guys who like violence.

I think your statements regarding kata are incorrect. We take our kata and basic training very seriously.
Just because we are a fighting oriented full-contact style does not mean we neglect the basics - far from it.
They are essential to the proper execution of a technique in Jissen Kumite.

Osu!

ET

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only talk about Goju because I am unqualified to talk anything else athough I have trained in other styles of karate I cannot speak intelligently about them as I am not an expect. With that in mind I believe the purpose of this thread is to discuss how complete each style of karate is. I truly belive that Okinawian goju is a complete system. To give an example to support my claim, In seiunchin kata there is a neck break bunkai against a double leg take down plus many arm break bunkai as well. as well as stikes from different ranges and angles.

returning_wave
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan variant, Taijutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate, in my opinion at least, is the most complete of the martial arts, if practised to the full extent of the original. However, different modern western styles stress different parts of the syllabus, for example shotokan tends to emphasise striking over grappling and floor fighting.

ialwaysgethit
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like shotokan its all for me, its one of the only ways i can do a "art" to say. i love it
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: