Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bdaze
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Parker Kempo, Budo taijitsu. Kenjutsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: kind of a random boxing question Reply with quote

I've noticed alot of people at my school (mostly "gangstas") talk about boxing and when they throw a punch to show what they were talking about they stick their thumb out

is there a reason for sticking your thumb out while punching if you're a boxer?

i also notice they do that little "whiping you nose" motion with their thumb out befor they strt throwing a combination. i see profetional boxers to this. they kind of move their gloves to their nose for some reason. what's that for anyway?

can anyone explain this to me?

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no reason... they've seen the nose thing and emulate it, same way some TMA guys started emulating van damme's "rear hand chambered at the chest, lead hand down by the leg" stance after seeing "Bloodsport".

No reason for the thumb to be out either - that's bad form and will get their thumb broken. They also hold their hands high, as if trying to simulate a thai boxer and punch downwards, or at least they do here. There's actually something to that, but It's a safe bet that they don't know that. The thai punches (not the western boxing strikes that have been adopted by many MT guys now) corkscrew downward...triangulation. They get more "oomph" into their punch that way.

DokterVet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shootwrestling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have notice a lot of people, even on TV and stuff, throw or attempt to throw boxing punches with their hands just hanging there as a big sloppy mess and their thumbs out.

I just hope one of them tries to punch me.

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: boxing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, thumb out, if they would try to sparr like that they would break their thubs in one round, assuming that they have the power in their arms to break the thumbs... in boxing when we put our bandages( ? ) on, we have to bind our thumb to our hands just so that that doesnt happen, my trainer said something about that it is the most common boxing injury by beginners...

MMouse
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trainer makes you tie your thumb to your hand with your handwraps????

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: boxing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... but maybe not like you think, we put the wrap one round over the thumb (along the knuckles ---) and then, after rounding the hand again, we put the wrap between the index finger and the thumb and tighten ( by pulling to the body | ), so that the thumb gets enough support not to break, but then we can still put the gloves on, and it was probably that part that troubled you
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: