Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Knife Defence Reply with quote

How do you guys & gals teach or learn to defend against knives and other weapons? As far as I can tell, there are two methods:

1) Pre-arranged sequences. Attacker comes in with set attack, Defender responds with a set defence. Several variations are learnt and practiced.

2) Knife Sparring. One partner has a knife (a training one that won't cause real damage - maybe with red ink on the blade). He may use any and every technique in attacking, and the defender is unarmed but may do the same.

I personally think the second method would be much more valuable. The students would also need some instruction in attacking with a knife, I guess. The first method above seems a lot more common in the martial arts though.

Or are there other methods beyond these two? (Apart from a combination of the two).

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think number two is a much much much better way of doin it. because on the street the knife attacks wont come all cleanly and perfect.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dissagree. I think you need the first, before attempting the second. You can't just throw a student into a free sparring atmosphere, without first teaching the techniques on how to defend.

After that, then yes the free attack is very useful training.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good point the KSN. i didnt take that into acount.

WhiteBelt
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school brought in a kali instructor for this... personally I'd go for number 2, after I know how to quickly break arms.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in an art where everyhing we do is really predicated on knife work. That said, we have a 16-hour seminar on knife work that's about 20% oration and 80% freesparring. Let me tell you, rolled up magazines will cut and bruise.. I'd hate to do that with even rubber knives.

The other way is an introduction of knife concepts, which is really pushed aruond the 18-month mark. mostly it's basic tactical changes, specific concepts around a knife (the need to advance for example), and showing them how a knife works with what they were already practicing.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: