Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

quigley_321
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Kung Fu vs Your Style of martial arts Reply with quote

Give some differences between your style of martial arts against kung fu and some similarities ( Compared against any style of Kung Fu ).

So i'll give you alittle about Kung Fu so you have something to compare too here.

Kung Fu usually uses soft blocks where you redirect the enemy energy to your benefit and it takes quite awhile to learn and the hits don't have to use alot of force just more in placement ( pressure points, nerves, weak soft spots in the body ) like a thing called Death Touch which will drop you to the ground ( believe me I've had it done to me by my Sifu doesn't really hurt but you drop like a rock and then prepare for a beating because you can't really move ) so just give me some comparisons

thank you

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the things you've mentioned are present in the Jujutsu dojo I attend, as well as the usual compliment of throws, locks, etc.

Shotokan_Fighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate 4 life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do shotokan karate, and i dont know to much about kung fu, but from what i know id much rather stick with shotokan karate. but if i were to choose a style of kung fu to do id try out the tiger style of kung fu.

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split off the disrespectful posts. Please remember to keep the conversation respectful and on-topic. The discussion is about comparing your own style of martial arts with kung fu, so let's try to keep it to that

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking an Okinawan style, I'd have to say that a lot of techniques and things are similar, since they are heavily influenced by Chinese styles. I think there is a tendency (except for the more advanced kata) to separate attack and counterattack into seperate movement (meaning one after another, regardless of how small the time is between them) while in kung-fu it looks like they just do them at the exact same time. My style doesn't really have real deep stances, except for maybe in the Chinto kata that was taught to Bushi Matsumura by a shipwrecked Chinese sailor that totally thrashed him. Matsumura was so intrigued (and maybe he had to regain some honor, too) that he tracked him down and begged him to teach him his stuff.

I think Okinawan karate is supposed to emphasize a lot of pressure points and things like they do in kung-fu, but I've noticed that some schools do not really dwell on that as much. I was fortunate to have a teacher that did focus on it though.

As far as soft and hard goes, most kung-fu schools are actually hard schools (so I've heard in some of my research) but some of the famous ones are soft. That being said, I've heard Shorin Ryu being described as a soft circle surrounded by hard points, so it is supposed to be a mix. I've been making an effort to make mine less hard for about the past year.

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main style is TKD. I have never had the pleasure to train with anyone who knows Kung Fu, but I think our punches and kicks are a bit stronger. IMO I don't think any other styles forms (kata's) are as fluid or as beautiful as Kung Fu. Plus Kung Fu practioners make better movies!!

Good luck!

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle-san wrote:
All the things you've mentioned are present in the Jujutsu dojo I attend, as well as the usual compliment of throws, locks, etc.

Yeah. My Juijitsu class has all you said and more.

Black Dragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with white tiger, I practice TKD and I believe that Kung Fu has much more beauty in their forms. They also have the advantage of training their minds similar to an internal art form, as well as training with a variety of weapons.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya and kung fu isn't a sport

Black Dragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're so smart..... there are different styles of TKD other than just Olympic, that are not "sports". ALSO there is a style of Kung Fu called WUSHU ever heard of it? Of course you have it's China's national sport.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: