Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post and congratulation, Hawkmoon. Life takes us where it takes us, and sometimes all we can do is play the cards we're dealt.

Your test reminded me of mine...

My sensei had us do 100 front kicks, roundhouse kicks, side kicks, and hook kicks with each leg, hitting pads held by black belts. When we were done (there were 2 of us testing for shodan), he says "Now that we're done with warmups, we can begin." Begin???

After basically re-taking every single promotional test from white belt up, we finished with a 25 man kumite. It's was knockdown style, only we wore hand, foot, and head protection. We only had 1 day, but it was 8am until about 4pm. Zero breaks. We brought a water bottle and were allowed sips here and there, but if I dont think I had time to even drink half of it. We ended with a 3 minute round of kumite between the two of us testing. We both had this burst of energy because we knew it was the last thing, but we burned ourselves out in about a minute. I'm pretty sure we looked like zombies at that point.

I remember telling my father and uncles about it the next day at a family cookout, as my arms and legs were covered in bruises. I only had 3 or 4 bruises on my chest and none on my face/head, so I did pretty good.

I can't wait to see what Kaicho Nakamura has in store for me when I test for shodan under him. Should be interesting.

Hanshi Arneil is a living legend. It's a HUGE honor to be tested and recognized by him. Much respect.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Great post and congratulation, Hawkmoon. Life takes us where it takes us, and sometimes all we can do is play the cards we're dealt.

Your test reminded me of mine...

My sensei had us do 100 front kicks, roundhouse kicks, side kicks, and hook kicks with each leg, hitting pads held by black belts. When we were done (there were 2 of us testing for shodan), he says "Now that we're done with warmups, we can begin." Begin???

After basically re-taking every single promotional test from white belt up, we finished with a 25 man kumite. It's was knockdown style, only we wore hand, foot, and head protection. We only had 1 day, but it was 8am until about 4pm. Zero breaks. We brought a water bottle and were allowed sips here and there, but if I dont think I had time to even drink half of it. We ended with a 3 minute round of kumite between the two of us testing. We both had this burst of energy because we knew it was the last thing, but we burned ourselves out in about a minute. I'm pretty sure we looked like zombies at that point.

I remember telling my father and uncles about it the next day at a family cookout, as my arms and legs were covered in bruises. I only had 3 or 4 bruises on my chest and none on my face/head, so I did pretty good.

I can't wait to see what Kaicho Nakamura has in store for me when I test for shodan under him. Should be interesting.

Hanshi Arneil is a living legend. It's a HUGE honor to be tested and recognized by him. Much respect.

Now THAT'S a testing cycle; one after my own heart. MEMORIES!! LOVE IT!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard people testing under Nakamura are required to bring blindfolds. Hopefully they're not used during kumite!!!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I've heard people testing under Nakamura are required to bring blindfolds. Hopefully they're not used during kumite!!!

One of my old instructors used to have the kids bring blindfolds for kata class at times. Even the most simple ones become difficult as people end up on the other side of the room, lol.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

One of my old instructors used to have the kids bring blindfolds for kata class at times. Even the most simple ones become difficult as people end up on the other side of the room, lol.

I'm pretty sure it's for kata and other solo stuff. Making it so you can't cheat by copying others if you forget something. Our sensei has us close our eyes and do stuff every now and then. Sometimes I end up in the right spot. Other times I've ended up facing about 90 degrees the wrong way.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
The Pred wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's for kata and other solo stuff. Making it so you can't cheat by copying others if you forget something. Our sensei has us close our eyes and do stuff every now and then. Sometimes I end up in the right spot. Other times I've ended up facing about 90 degrees the wrong way.

Here also, with eyes closed, also reverse kata and opposite side. The reverse kata really frys the brain!

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see this before...

All I can say is wow.

Congrats on a fantastic accomplishment.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!

Sorry for the essay, but as I mention I had to get it written down, get it out of my head!

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome news! Congrats and thank you for sharing!

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: