Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Seraph
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Limited and Unsure Reply with quote

Another Newbie. I've been bouncing around this forum for a while, but have yet to find the "right" style that suits me.

I'm limited in my options (small city in Tennessee). There's really only one dojo very close by and while the instructor is very experienced I've never felt comfortable talking to him. The first time I did it was like he was trying to rush me into signing up for my "first free class" which really turned me off.
While Karate, Kickboxing, and BJJ all sound like wonderful arts none really seem to fit me.

I'm a tall, naturally light, rather unathletic teenager. Any suggestions on a style?

Thanks.

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your stature shouldn't effect what style you choose. What are you looking to get out of the martial arts?

self-defense? increase athletic ability? confidence?

Some styles help more than others. For example --- some people want a relaxing art like Tai Chi (though I've seen some lethal Tai Chi moves!)

Do you think you would like competition? Then I would recommend Japanese / Okinawan styles or TaeKwonDo.

Into grappling? Judo

How about fluid movements? Capeoria or Chinese Soft Styles like KungFu.

As far as the pushy instructor...you should probably rely on your instincts -- if you don't feel comfortable talking to him now --- how will it be if you sign up. I'd continue to watch --- let him know up front you want to watch a few more classes before even taking the free intro classes. Watch how he interacts with his students (esp kids and beginners) and how does he treat other guests in the dojo. Also, if you get a chance, talk to some of his students and see if they like it.

Good luck!
Kita

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_karateka gave sound advice Some schools mix styles (mine for example). So you could get the best of both worlds (grappling and stand-up fighting). I used to hate grappling (when I did TSD), but now I enjoy it. So whatever you pick, make the best of it

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me play "devils advocate" here, go back and check out the "free class" and sign up for it, I would suggest taking someone else along to read the fine print with you, but if it is truly a free class with no strings attached what could it hurt? If the class isn't for you, don't go back, but if this guy is successful, maybe his expertise is in instructing a class and not marketing. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

Tombstone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close to Nashville?

http://www.wardog.us/

Kate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*edit*

Last edited by Kate on Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was in a hurry... ...Try the free class, if you don't like it don't return. I talked to the guys working out in my dojo before I joined. That way I got a pretty good picture what was what. If I went on first impressions, then I may have not given it a shot. Now if this guy tries to get you to sign a contract the first night, you better run...

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was training in NY I was being groomed to eventually manage one of the dojos my instructor owned. When you sign up for the intro class you are classified as a prospective student, which means you'll get a flyer or whatever in 3 to 6 months if you don't sign up....no big deal -- but there are always strings attached -- even if they are little ones Not saying that every school does that -- but I know of several that do.

I've also visited dojos that deal like used car salesman. Now I'm a bottom-line kind of girl so that really gets under my skin and sends me flying in the other direction.

My suggestion -- only take the free class if you could honestly see yourself training there. Don't take a free class, just because its free -- you waste your time and the instructors time!

Kita

Seraph
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice I will check into it. I never considered that he may just have a lack of verbal skills - who knows? BTW: Nope, I'm closer to Knoxville.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: