Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kickchic,
since muscle is what burns calories, wouldn't adding more muscle(weight training)increase your metabolism?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.... Muscle tissue uses more calories than fat tissue because it has a higher metabolic rate. By increasing lean muscle mass, your 'resting' metabolic rate will increase and you'll lose weight. This is only one factor in the total BMR.The
basal metabolic rate(BMR) is the rate your body uses energy for vital body processes. The rate you burn energy during physical activity and the rate you use energy during digestion of food are the two other factors involved in your total metabolic rate. A combination of both weight lifting and cardio/aerobic exercise is optimal for fat burning and for boosting metabolism.

I am a firm believer in working on boosting your metabolism. Many people have very sluggish metabolism that goes unchecked... not being able to lose weight, lack of energy/concentration I found that it was my problem. I now have much more energy & stamina throughout my workouts. Consistency is important because your body metabolism adapts to your current weight. If you diet or skip meals your body's metabolism slows down to compensate for the lack of nutrients.

Deby<--going to grab a bite to eat now!

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, i think i'l have to lay off the beer then.... bugger!

That's probly what's doing it too, i do drink a fair bit of beer nowadays (now it's legal).

To whoever suggested leg raises, i do hundreds each night, and they are fantastic!
Although i can't do them at the moment cos the doc tells me to rest blah blah blah... i'm gonna do some now. He can bugger off! hdfasjkfgsdh sgafdgh fsdh!!!

Angus

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarten up Angus and get some rest or I'm gonna have to come over there and kick yer butt !!! What are you trying to do - kill yourself .

Lori

-Unknown-

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah maybe.... i'm in training for my amateur kickboxing though...

Hey Lori, i've got some pics of me and my new car, with my house and farm in the background.... i'l send them 2 u soon.....

Angus

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I can't wait to see!!

Lori

-Unknown-

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, send some my way too mate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your training for kickboxing and only have to loose 4lbs...there is a couple things you can do.

1) Change your diet - to a fighting diet. By this I mean no beer, no candy, no burgers, no fries. Just whole foods, lean meats no more than probably 1500 calories per day...divided into 5-6 meals.

No eating after 6pm. Lots of water 8 to 10 glasses. A run before bed no less than 30 minutes, helps raise the metabolism and burn more while you sleep.

2) Shed water weight before weigh in. Warning here though this can be dangerous, so you need to do this under supervision of your trainer. Wrap yourself in garbage bags to create a sauna underneath your sweat pants and jacket. The gaol is to just make weight. Problem is that this is hard on your system, and will drain your energy..so if you weigh in a couple hours before forget this. After weigh in you must replace the fluids you have lost as well as the electrolites in your system. Drinks like Gatorade (not the best, but the easiest to get), will asssist in replacing these.

Best of Luck in your fight.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool cool cool.... thanx guys.

Angus

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: