Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

skiller
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: MA for a Family Reply with quote

OK folks - looking for a good MA for a family to join together. There are several schools that offer "family discounts", and we all would like to try and start somewhere together.

Specifically my 8 yr old daughter came home wanting to start in TaeKwonDo, that got me thinking - I am 30 - always wanted to start, so why not now.. She is also in Gymnastics so I think learning a MA would be very complimentary. And my wife likes the idea as well as a good way to shed lbs. We also have a 3.5yr old daughter.

Our rec center offers TaeKwonDO classes very cheap for all ages on a monthly casis, so I though maybe me and My 8yr old could join up for a month to get our feet wet, while we look around for a good "real" school to pursue later.

Schools in the area include, Karate, Tae Kwon DO, Judo, Kung Fu.

any help would be appreciated!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD is a good family style but don't discount a Y class as not a "real" school. There are many excellent instructors in these programs and many bad instructors in "real" programs. A fancy school and big classes don't always mean a quality program..and vice versa!! Good choice...good luck!!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Icetuete
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are all very cool styles. if ur daughter wants to start tkd, why dont give it a go?
u might want to ask ur wife about the styles before u do ask us

it cant be wrong to read a little about all of these styles and perhaps visit all of the dojos. in case u aint got certain aims regarding specific style u can still talk to instructors and join the school u feel most comfortable with.

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of them might work. I would recommend not focusing just on the type of school, but the instructor. Some instructors are good with adults but not kids. Some are the reverse. I would think that anyone that teaches at a Y would have to be sensitive to both.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: MA for a Family Reply with quote

skiller wrote:

Our rec center offers TaeKwonDO classes very cheap for all ages on a monthly casis, so I though maybe me and My 8yr old could join up for a month to get our feet wet, while we look around for a good "real" school to pursue later.

Schools in the area include, Karate, Tae Kwon DO, Judo, Kung Fu.

any help would be appreciated!

I would start with the rec center. Looks can be decieving, a lot of rec centers offer excellent MA training at a very family friendly setting and price.
On another note, they generally do not require contracts. When young children are involved, they tend to lose interest easily or you may find it might not be for you or your wife. Why commit to contractual obligations?

Here is a lhelpful ling about choosing a school. It is written about karate but it holds true for most MA.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/101/14_findadojo.html

Its brutally honest about the bussiness side of MA in general.

Happy Hunting!!!!

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do TKD you should go for it. Karate is also a good family MA. I´n my form there´s two whole families who all enjoy it.

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I currently teach at a Y, and I consider my class a 'real' school, as does my Association, but with that said:

Your best bet is to not worry about price or location or any of that, and visit all the schools you see as possibilities. gauge your overall feel for the class and the instructor, and choose what fits you best...

Don't forget to ask about contract commitments, test fees (inclusing black belt), equipment costs,etc....there's nothing implicitly wrong with having these costs, but you should know what you're getting into before you sign up.

MA for a whole family can be an expensive proposition, but your best bet really is to find the best instructor and class for you, as you'll be far more likely to get what you pay for that way.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: