Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: MA Instructor/School Accreditation Reply with quote

After reading a few of the posts here http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1834&highlight= , some experiences bordered on injurious sexual, physical or psychological abuse.
Which brings me to this question: In your opinion do you feel that martial arts should be regulated? ....

Despite the mystique that the study of martial arts is spiritual, it is in every respect a business. In schools which operate "for profit," the consumer signs a contract agreeing to pay money for a promised level or period of instruction. Just as the instructor has the right to expect payment, the consumer has the right to expect the instruction will be of good quality and free from injurious sexual, physical or psychological abuse.

What regulatory measures have been taken?
A number of states, most recently New Jersey and North Carolina, have had bills introduced to regulate martial arts instruction. Basically, these bills establish a state board that issues licenses. The bills also set requirements on instructors such as being an adult, having a certain level of proficiency and having no criminal record. Many foreign countries have regulations regarding gatherings and events.

Should government regulation be supported?
Not necessarily. If the martial arts business acts internally to regulate itself, government intervention should not be needed. The point is that regulation of some kind is needed, even if it is only protection under the consumer protection laws. Many states require martial arts studios to be licensed as health clubs. However, health club regulations are not enough to protect the large classes of under age students in a "for profit" studio. Internal regulation is preferable, but if it does not come about, the government should undertake the task.

How would this be done?
By federation accreditation. The federation would take the responsibility to see that instructors are knowledgeable about their discipline and of sufficient moral character to be an instructor. This may even require keeping records and lists of accredited instructors. While this may sound strange, everyone from an automobile mechanic to a high school teacher goes through some type of apprenticeship or accreditation program. Why should martial arts be different? Every martial arts instructor should display this accreditation.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Ring/9553/index.html

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the regulation should be done by the "Federation" that the school belongs to. In my case the World Kuk Sool Won Association. Unfortunately, there would still need to be legislation requiring every school to belong to one. How many "hole in the wall" schools are there out there that don't belong to any governing organization?

Too often, the problem with getting the government involved is that they try and take full control, and then you can't get rid of them!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: