Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Martial Art Challenge Reply with quote

Looking for martial art challenges, that could be performed on a regular daily (trial) basis for five days.

Not looking for silly ideas such as breaking 100 bricks while skydiving naked in to a swimming pool filed with gello and whipped cream.

Realistic challenges that can improve or enhance a martial artist's training is preferable.

Video links accepted!

Guinness book of records (MA only) ideas also accepted!

Mixing martial art styles and techniques also accepted!

Creativity and difficulty challenges accepted!

Or share your very own developed exercise move(s) or technique(s) and name them after yourself; accepted!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon kick

LEG CONDITIONING/CONTROL/BALANCE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGjoelv4ffU

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung fu

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've been doing recently (and it's not the most exciting challenge I have to admit! haha) is doing a 'wall sit' (I think is what the exercise is called), where you lean against a wall in a squat/seated position and hold for a certain time, try to increase the time you hold the position for. I've been doing this to try and build up the muscles in my legs to help improve my stances, I come from a kickboxing background so am not used to the deep kung fu stances I've been learning.

So my goal...iron out the basics!

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do 300 fit-ins of a Judo throw every day.
It can be any throw, but pick one. Do 300 fit-ins a day until your total number done is around 10000 or so. Combine that with some sparring and you will quickly have a reliable take-down you can use.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 Kick Workout.

Pretty simple, really. Pick a basic kick, like front snap kick. Take a left fighting stance. Do 5 front leg kicks, then 5 back leg kicks. Switch to a right fighting stance, then do 5 more front leg kicks, then 5 back leg kicks. You've just done 20 kicks.

Repeat with round kicks, side kicks, inside crescent kicks, outside crescent kicks, hook kicks, axe kicks, twist kicks.

Running out of basic kicks, you say? Add jumps. Front leg jump kicks, then back leg jump kicks. Add double/repeat kicks. Enjoy.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
500 Kick Workout.

Pretty simple, really. Pick a basic kick, like front snap kick. Take a left fighting stance. Do 5 front leg kicks, then 5 back leg kicks. Switch to a right fighting stance, then do 5 more front leg kicks, then 5 back leg kicks. You've just done 20 kicks.

Repeat with round kicks, side kicks, inside crescent kicks, outside crescent kicks, hook kicks, axe kicks, twist kicks.

Running out of basic kicks, you say? Add jumps. Front leg jump kicks, then back leg jump kicks. Add double/repeat kicks. Enjoy.
bushidoman_96I; already do the 500 kick a day workout, but must admit some/many days, I do them on the couch (hoping that sitting/laying on the "doing couch kicks" becomes an Olympic sport one day) while watching MA, fitness motivationals or Yoga type videos.

Which might not be such a challenge to most youngsters (That practice extreme martial arts) but as I am an oldie, must show to be a good example to the next generation; staying alive and still kicking.

Beware anyone that tries to attack me while I'm on my couch!!!!!

One thing in my favor is, that perhaps I'm not a born fighter but I am a born fidget, couldn't sit still for five minutes without doing or moving something (might as well be stretching and kicking) even if you payed me!

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the challenges so far?

Alan Armstrong - How is that canon kick coming along mate?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky147 wrote:
How are the challenges so far?

Alan Armstrong - How is that canon kick coming along mate?

Came across Chloe Bruce's unique "Canon Kick" about four months ago; I was totally impressed!!!

So I thought, this would be so impressive to do, as I do get asked from time to time to show something that martial artists do.

I have broken down this kick into different exercises.

First exercise is the shuffling.

Second is the hip stacking and flexing.

Third is the pump kick.

I'm 6 decades old, still up to the challenge of mastering this kick.

I do have TKD experice, it is however very rusty from 20 years ago.

I have however been using a few secret weapons, to help with the challenge.

Ballet exercises, Yoga poses, TKD conditioning and thick thera band resistance training for 20 hours a week is absolutely, a working strategy for success.

This "Canon kick" challenge has most definitely pointed out some of my weakness that need to be fixed.

Such as more height in the stacked knee and also more turnout in the hips.

Apart from that; yes my "Canon kick" challenge is coming along nicely.

Thanks for asking Wisky147

How are you challenging yourself these days as a martial artist?

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I've also been looking into ballet/gymnastic stretches and exercises too to help develop my flexibility and all the rest, have to hand it to ballet dancers they really are physically impressive folks!

As for challenging myself, i haven't really challenged myself much recently, i've been practising my bo staff spinning techniques! haha i'm at the stage now where i'm not constantly hitting myself in the shin! Progress is progress

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky147 wrote:
Ah I've also been looking into ballet/gymnastic stretches and exercises too to help develop my flexibility and all the rest, have to hand it to ballet dancers they really are physically impressive folks!

As for challenging myself, i haven't really challenged myself much recently, i've been practising my bo staff spinning techniques! haha i'm at the stage now where i'm not constantly hitting myself in the shin! Progress is progress
With the ballet exercises; they are different than what martial artists do.

Ballet focus on the hip turnout and extensions also the feet are pointed.

In ballet, they are very intellectual about developing themselves physically. About which muscles do what and strive to do doing everything correctly.

Ballet dancers don't stack the hips as martial artists do they actually keep the hips horizontally aligned.

(Keep up with the bo staff work. I use a 6 kilo metal bar to practice with, hit the shins with it and only make the mistake once LOL)

The "Extensions" is something else they do differently in ballet, as they hold difficult poses with the leg raised high for four seconds.

Pointing the toes correctly is another thing they do very well as they need extremely strong feet and ankles to stand on "Points" their toes.

As martial artists tend to be more flat footed for stability and use the side of the foot.

Martial artists and Ballet dancers take a very different path than the general public; developing themselves in extraordinary ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: