Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clip of fight:
http://webhost.avint.net/munjudo/kimura_gracie1.mpg

Here are articles of the entire fight:

http://www.judoinfo.com/kimura.htm

http://www.gracieacademy.com/generations/1951kimura.shtml

[ This Message was edited by: ChangWuJi on 2002-04-20 20:58 ]

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an awesome fight - I've had the tape for some years.

People who dis Helio for losing the fight and thus say BJJ is inferior to Judo. They should take into consideration the fact that he was vastly outweighed & that Kimura later invited Helio to Japan to teach at the Budokan - must have thought he had something to offer?

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YODA wrote:
This was an awesome fight - I've had the tape for some years.

People who dis Helio for losing the fight and thus say BJJ is inferior to Judo. They should take into consideration the fact that he was vastly outweighed & that Kimura later invited Helio to Japan to teach at the Budokan - must have thought he had something to offer?

My thoughts exactly, Helio was also older then Kumura. It looked similar to Yoshida vs. Royce (Yoshida won by a much too early ref stoppage) but the throw was nice and Yoshida had good control.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't people should diss BJJ and say Judo is better, but if someone won Gracie with Judo then that fighter is really good, old, young, or heavier, doesn't matter. But I don't see people running out and taking up Judo all of a sudden. BJJ is closer to Judo than it is to Jujitsu anyway so it was a good match.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

BJJ-Dober
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimura also stated that if Helio lasted more than 3 minutes he should declare himself the winner, he lasted 13. Not to say Helio won the fight but Im sure Kimura was surprised

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJJ is popular, doesn't mean it is the end all answer to fighting. Yeah, it's effective in the ring, that is wear it has been displayed. I think that Judo is just as effective, and it truely depends on the fighter. The Style is secondary to the fighter.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BJJ is popular, doesn't mean it is the end all answer to fighting

definetly not but I think it is one of the more proven looking at whats out there.

Quote:
Yeah, it's effective in the ring, that is wear it has been displayed

so when you step out of the ring it looses it's effectiveness? what about stlyes that cant win IN a ring with limited rules? if it dosent work in a simple 1 vs 1 competition why would it work better else where? to me the ring is a better test than anything else or than real fighting..whitch isint practicaal as a means of testing..

Quote:
I think that Judo is just as effective

Judo has never had the succes of BJJ, Lots of Judoka have come and gone int he UFC..sure some did well but most did not do outstanding..

There was a highly decorated olympic judoka in UFC 3 who was unable to get past Shamrock in the first round.

Quote:
and it truely depends on the fighter

I'll ask again..if was all on fighter then Why did Judo not have much succes..plenty tried...are you going to sit here and tell me that somehow ALL of the judoka that entereed were less talented then the wrestlers and BJJ ist..look at the big picture.

Quote:
The Style is secondary to the fighter

Ultimatly it comes down to the fighter..a stlye can only give yout he tools...some stlyes just do a better job than otehrs imo.

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Judo has never had the succes of BJJ, Lots of Judoka have come and gone int he UFC..sure some did well but most did not do outstanding..

There was a highly decorated olympic judoka in UFC 3 who was unable to get past Shamrock in the first round.

Don Frye, Yoshida, Fedor (the current #1 fighter in Pride) Newton, Trigg, Takase (who just subed a top Anderson Silva), Herring (he Remco his grappling coach is a judoka), etc. Almost all the Japanese fighters have done judo. It's a good base for grappling.

Christophe Leninger was not an olympic level judoka but a national judo champ. In UFC 13 Guy Mezger said he was one of the hardest guys he ever fought. Not to mention he was in his late 30's....

Judo (IMO) is better for the street (wrestling as well) because it forces you to be aggressive and stay on up on top/on your feet.

Sho-judo

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure most of the fighters in the UFC have also done TKD or karate at one point..does that mean thats what they fight like? or use it?

Don Frye Uses wrestling and boxing for the most part.

Yoshida is a judoka and is impressive from what i have seen.

Newton definetly fights like a Jiu jitsu fighter

I was under the impression Fedor had a background in Sambo..but I dont know much about him.

Im not saying judo is not effective..i actually think it is very effective on the street because of the throws..but I think Wrestling has better takedowns and Jiu jitsu has better submissions.

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:

Newton definetly fights like a Jiu jitsu fighter

When we train Judo it looks the same as bjj. (the ground work that is) Newton uses Judo all the time, in almost all his fights you can see him going for throws. Judo is stand up jiujitsu...that's the only point I'm trying to make. In Russia the judo looks more like sambo because they cross train in both. Ya, I guess Fedor is more wrestling/sambo. I don't think you'll find many point karate guys out amoung the top mma guys at all. Most of the new blood have Boxing/kickboxing or wrestling/sub fighting backgrounds now.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: