Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hangetsu123
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Mikazuki Geri Reply with quote

Mikazuki Geri (crescent kick)

I used this kick extensively in kumite. (both outside and inside kicks) I often use it to check round kicks by counter kicking the opponents inside knee when he fires his kick... yes distance and trimming are a must.

conrad665
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Ashihara Karate, Judo, Iaido

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be too hard to do, we only perform mikazuki geri in kata, since it may be slow to use in actual sparring to block a gyaku zuki, for example and it requires intense training on that technique. It is good for you to be able to use it, though
What is your style?

Newdesign
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad665 wrote:
It must be too hard to do, we only perform mikazuki geri in kata, since it may be slow to use in actual sparring to block a gyaku zuki, for example and it requires intense training on that technique. It is good for you to be able to use it, though
What is your style?

How do you block a gyaku zuki with mikazuki geri?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crescent kicks really hurt my knee, so I don't really use them in sparring and we only have one crescent kick in one kata in our curriculum, anyway. I do use crescent kicks from the ground, though--that's about the only place that I, personally, find them to be useful.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

deckerdude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Traditional Shotokan Karate. Wudang Tai Chi.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be used as a block and an attack, but using the ball of the foot only? I dont suppose its something you would want to do all the time though, with all that pressure on that turning knee. Must get 'Nakayama' out, he will know!

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use them, but I have had success using inside crescent kicks (we call them soto mawashi geri) in kumite. My three primary targets are the outer thigh (using the heel as in a low kick, picked that one up from watching the Russians), the biceps/forearm area (wear out the arms to make the hands drop), and of course the head. You can get a good amount of power utilizing inside crescents using the same footwork and shifting as a roundhouse in my opinion.

hangetsu123
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the target when using a mikazuki Geri against I mawasi Geri is the inside of the thigh from the knee joint up to the inner thigh...with an inside crescent kick with the heel or the sole of the foot. learn to hard wire the Counter kick/shot block (with sen no sen) you unjust your stance to have your hips cocke

I learned the waza in Koei kan. but just got back into karate at a shotokan dojo... big difference in kata and approach .... cool none the less...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use this kick much. My legs are fairly short, and its a kick that takes some time to get up. We don't kick low in our sparring, so we have to go waist or higher with a kick. Some of the longer-legged guys in our school have used them well. They just don't work well for me.

Now, a spinning crescent counter is a bit more usable for me.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I like to use inside mikazuki geri as if it were a jab when I am fighting an opponent with a much longer reach than mine who has no frontal openings.

That is to say, when a tall person who tends to face more sideways crowds me a little shorter than my desired kicking distance, I first do a snappy chudan inside mikazukigeri with my front foot to get him startled and moving back a bit. From there I can switch to mawashigeri jodan with the opposite leg, or if he has faced forward I can do a strong frontkick with the opposite leg, or if he makes a full step back switching legs, I can sweep him off balance and take him down more easily.

This is just something I've been doing lately though. It's only because my right mikazuki is very compact and unusual kicks are more confusing for an opponent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: