Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: MMA Training Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, who here competes MMA? What is your training regimen like?
"There is no spoon."

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently train in bjj, judo, shuai chiao and muay thai. I've had some full contact fights and plenty of judo matches, but haven't stepped into the mma arena yet, however I plan to. We've got several guys at the club who do fight mma though. I'll list my training when I get back - I'm on my lunch break and headed to the gym.

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, I'll be waiting.
"There is no spoon."

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got back to the desk, I had more work than I planned - sorry about that.

My normal regimen constists of training pretty much every day:

Mon lunch - weights: chest/tris/shoulders
Mon Night judo - 1.5 hrs, bjj 2 hrs

Tues lunch - weights: back/biceps
Tues night - judo - 2hrs, bjj- 1hr, muay thai - 1.5 hrs

Wed lunch - weights: legs/chest
Wed Night submission wrestling - 2.5 hrs

Thurs lunch - weights: chest/tris/shoulders
Thurs night - judo - 2hrs, bjj- 1hr, muay thai - 1.5 hrs

Fri lunch - weights: legs/back
Fri Night bjj/judo 2.5 hrs

I usually do something on the weekend, but not in class. I may go up to the club and work the bag, or just lift and do bodyweight exercises at home.

when I'm training for a fight, I concentrate specifically on the venue. For example, if there's a judo tourney coming up, most of my gym time will consist of cable drills, shadow throwing, etc. In class, I focus on the throws and takedowns I use most, and do plenty of cardio, usually in the form of jumping rope.

Do you want detail as to what I do in class, or is this along the lines of what you were looking for?

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, this was good...unless of course, you WANT to give me what you do in class. I'm just looking for a good workout, in addition to becoming a more complete fighter, so I want to know what others do.
"There is no spoon."

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

class is fairly structured, but a damn good workout. In MT, we usually start with about 6-9 minutes (the equivalent of 2-3 rounds) of jumping rope. After that, we stretch, then do various agility and bodyweight exercises - plyometrics, shadowboxing, medicine ball work, jumping jacks, shuffling, mountain climbers, etc. and various line drills.

After that, we move into what we are working for that session. If we are working elbows, for example, we break out the pads, and do various drills with those strikes. We end class with either bag work, sparring or something terrifying, like 5-10-5's.

The BJJ and judo classes go about the same way - calesthenics, learning/drilling, then rolling. There's so much movement involved though - great work out, keeps you sweating and pushing.

When I'm on my own, I do line drills, bodyweight stuff, shadowfighting, jump rope, etc. I do everything for my standup in rounds of 3 mins and everything for grappling in rounds of 5. The reason being is because that's how long rounds are in the ring. You can grapple for 20 mins straight, jump for 20 mins straight, etc., but that will throw off your pacing in a ring fight, as you have been pacing yourself based on a 20 min round, not a 5 min round. If you want to go 20 mins, do 4 rounds of 5 mins, or 7 rounds of 3 mins (you even get an extra minute in there!)

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Hakutsuru (White Crane Karate), Shaolin Kenpo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolvirine here is some info I got on diet and excercise program off MMA website.

Extreme Diet and Routine for cutting to 155lbs
(Only for the headstrong)

Cardio: Minimum 40 minutes before you eat ANYTHING.
9am Breakfast 1/2 can of Kirkland Chicken breast from Costco + 1/2 cup of steamed rice + 1 cup broccoli.
10am Train MMA Jiu-Jitsu/Wrestling
11am Snack: 1/2 Pro Max Bar
Rest!
2pm Snack 1/2 Pro Max Bar
Rest!
4pm Dinner: 1/2 can of Chicken + 1/2 cup of steamed rice + 1 cup broccoli.
5pm NHB Class Fight Team Training
7:30-9pm Jiu-Jitsu Regular Class
9pm Cardio Minimum 40 minutes
I drink a minimum of 2-2.5 gallons of water per day when I am on this diet. Put Crystal Light in it for flavor and Electrolytes. Take a multi pack of Vitamins, and some extra Vitamin-C. Rest as often as you can. You will feel weak in between meals but if you are eating before you train it will give you the energy to survive and that is really all you need to do...Survive.

Diet for cutting to 170lbs

Breakfast 1 bowl(cup) cream of wheat mixed with banana baby food and 1 EAS pre mixed shake
Snack Pro Max Bar or some fruit
Lunch 5 chicken tenderloins
1 cup (before cooked) steamed white rice
7 triscuts
1 ff yogurt
Snack Pro Max Bar or some fruit
Dinner 5 chicken tenderloins
1 cup (before cooked) steamed white rice
7 triscuts
1 ff yogurt
DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. AT LEAST A GALLON A DAY.
TAKE A MULTI PACK OF VITAMINS AND SOME EXTRA VITAMIN C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that from www.chrisbrennan.com He has a lot of good tips.

Also you already know this site I bet. Go to www.mma.tv and check out the Underground and ask the profighters on that forum. Or go to the Chris brennan sectoin and ask him. He is really good and cool as * for sharing stuff. -Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl, thanks guys!
"There is no spoon."

jeffrogers
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definelty got a point there Sevenstar I remember being at a Karate tournment a year and half back that had a Grappling event with the gi. I went against this guy. I noticed the trend of TMA schools addging grappling but not having a qualifyed or at least some one good at Jiu-Jitsu or subs and postions to really teach them. They get ideas from tapes or some judo friend thats been doing it for a little while. There students take some ones back and end up crossing there legs like you would in teh guard. quick way to get ankel locked there.

Also there postions weren't as tight and didn't have enough detail or postional awerness to pull of subs for even a simple straight arm bar from the mount postion.

Needless to say I got cocky when the match started and thought I could beat quickly. Damn he was strong. HE was one of those guys that muscle alot grabbing the gi alot and pulling. Works the arms so he had good holding muscle as far as staying tense the hole time so hard to move. either way I didn't really train for it. I underestimated the guys I was going against and thought I could easliy beat them. Then even was kind of lam ethough. Only 3 people in and I was the 3rd person. 2 of the other guys were the Karate guys with some grappling experience not by any one I would consider good who taught them. But basically first match ended up were I let the guy take me down. I didn't care about points because I was sure I can tap him. We rolled around and the time limit was diffrent. It was 3 minutes instead of 5. Well towards the end I doing guard and I pull his arm across had my foot leg on ihs back keeping him down and about to turn to throw my leg around for arm bar. I was sure I could get it. but time was called and he won on points. I was *. I went against the other guy. Again * off because I didn't sub him I won on points that one I wasn't going to give up postions just because I thoguhtI can sub him quickly. I learned I need to train for every event and not take underestimate people like I did. I made to many mistakes and the other guy becausd of it.

But the point was it was 3 minute rounds like you were talkinga bout I trained for 5minute rounds when I do a regular BJJ or submission event. but this one I rolled normal with people in my class and didn't do any time limit. What did I get for it. I lost because I didn't train for the event I was competing in.

Okay I am done rambling. -Jeff
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: