Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dog
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Modern Arnis Reply with quote

I was wondering what the difference between regular arnis and modern arnis was. I read there is empty handed fighting in arnis too but it is taught after weapons. my question is: around what time do you get to learn empty handed combat in arnis and how much does arnis focus on it/how effective is it?
is arnis and kali the same thing? and I think arnis is a weapon oriented art, so would it still be effective for self defense(since you can't carry weapons whenever you want to)?
What does everyone in here think of arnis, and does anyone here practice arnis?

dropshadow
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: hapkido, arnis, northern shaolin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is very little difference in my opinion between arnis and modern arnis. remember that although arnis/escrima/kali are considered weapon arts to begin with, many of the moves are exactly the same in open hand situations. while it is very common to see the arnis student using 2 sticks or 2 knives, other combinations are stressed just as importantly - 1 weapon / 1 open hand, 2 open hand. many of the 1 weapon / 1 hand techniques involve striking with the weapon and using the off hand to disarm the opponent or set up a hold or lock.

it would be VERY rare for an arnis student to ever be in a fight where both people have 2 sticks. the most common scenarios that would occur would be 1 stick/knife vs. unarmed. arnis realizes this and trains specifically for these situations. arnis is a complete martial art that stresses both weapons and open hand strikes, holds and locks.

Dog
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropshadow, do you happen to take arnis or any filipino weapons art? and what should i be looking for in an arnis instructor? i really appreciate your reply, thanks.

Dog
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh another question. do you know if modern arnis incorporates grappling in it's system?

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnis is kali is escrima, they have different names, becasue of the different regions, in the philipines.

my sifu/guro/master, is the kali representative for the canadian, kali organisation. and he was an original dog brother, so i have asked him your questions many times b4.

he told me he teaches single stick as well as striking andd grappling to beginners.
kali also has standing locks, throws, etc...
grappling in kali is called dumog.

You need to talk to your instructor and ask alot of questions, and ask him who he is certified under, and ask him who he is associated with.

hope this helps
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: