Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Muay Thai or KM on street/NHB ring
Muay Thai
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Krav Maga
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 26

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Siamese boxing vs. Krap Magma Reply with quote

Hohan-1 wrote:
The IDF does not use Krav Maga. Even if they do so what. They gots uzis and things that go boom-boom. The threat of deadly force would make Pimp Slap Foo' an effective MA. What works for real? Neither a ring sport nor an amalgamation of mediocrity. There are no shortcuts in empty hand training. Even traditional styles should teach one to handle themselves in 4-6 months. C'mon now.

Money, money money is the name of the style you guys like so much. Muay Thai would be a better bet for SD, although it too is lacking in techs and intent. Don't Krap no Maggots!!!

that was one of the worst rambles I have read in a while.

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be, but he makes a good point. Krav Maga is an art that is currently used by many to make a fast buck. I don't know any Law Enforcement of Special Forces troops who use it. Mauy Thia WWAAAYYY Before KM.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tibby wrote:
That may be, but he makes a good point. Krav Maga is an art that is currently used by many to make a fast buck. I don't know any Law Enforcement of Special Forces troops who use it. Mauy Thia WWAAAYYY Before KM.

How many special forces troops do you know? despite what our local expert says the IDF DOES use KM and so do some others.

Obviously you are speaking out of ignorace because if you knew the number of Military and law enforcement organizations and personel that trained in Krav Maga both here in the states and across the world you would not make a statment like that.

Quote:
Krav Maga is an art that is currently used by many to make a fast buck

According to who?? you? how many krav schools have you visited across the country?

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend on what you plan to use it for. I'd say Muay Thai is much better for unarmed fighting, but if you are going to involve weapons, (disarms and such) Krav Maga has some focus on that while I don't think Muay Thai barely touches weapons.

Tibby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JuJutsu(Judo), Isshinryu Karate, Boxing, Fencing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact that US Special operations don’t use it, because my father was in J-SOC. Do you know the number of Military and law enforcement organizations and personnel that trained in Krav Maga both here in the states and across the world? Please, give me a list. Aside from the IDF, I can’t find any specific groups.

You don’t think it is about the money? You don’t think there are guys out there using the Hype from “enough” and the crap going on in the Mid-east to make a fast buck with Krav Maga? If you don’t think this is a the case, then you, my friend, are speaking out of ignorance. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the "teachers" world wide are Orange belts in karate with a KM tape, trying to make a fast buck.

Anyways, if we want to continue, I’d suggest we do it in PM, or some other thread, they will say the post isn’t following the guidelines and it will get locked.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tibby-

Quote:
I know for a fact that US Special operations don’t use it

Not officially no, that dosent mean none of them have trained in Krav Maga. and i know for a fact that certain members of the delta force have trained in KM.

here is a picture of a special forces unit holding up a Krav Maga Force Training division over a picture of Saddam in Iraq...if thats "proof" enough...oh wait i bet they were just paid to do that

http://www.kravmaga.com/images/Mvc020s21.jpg

Quote:
Do you know the number of Military and law enforcement organizations and personnel that trained in Krav Maga both here in the states and across the world?

I know 150+ diffrent law enforcement organizations here in the US have trained in KM, that dosent include the hundreds of LE officers that train on their own in the system. As Far as i know The IDF is the only ones that "officially" use KM(except for one European counrty but i cant remember whitcho one at the moement) but plenty of other have trained in it "unofficially"

Quote:
You don’t think it is about the money?

Maybe to some people, the same is true of Any MA. it's not stuck to KM.

Quote:
You don’t think there are guys out there using the Hype from “enough” and the crap going on in the Mid-east to make a fast buck with Krav Maga?

If something advertises KM so be it, what does that have ot do with anyone making a "fast buck" once again why are you singling out KM, BJJ is spreading like wildfire, do people not try and bring it in also? whats your point?

Quote:
I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the "teachers" world wide are Orange belts in karate with a KM tape, trying to make a fast buck.

Place you bet, since all KM instructors have to be certificed thru the national training center i doubt there are too many video jockeys out there...but keep on talking about things you know nothing about.

I see no reason for this thread to be locked as long as we keep a reasonable discussion.,

goshinman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: hakko densin ryu jujutsu, shuai chiao, catchwrestling, and some judo/sambo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don’t think it is about the money? You don’t think there are guys out there using the Hype from “enough” and the crap going on in the Mid-east to make a fast buck with Krav Maga? If you don’t think this is a the case, then you, my friend, are speaking out of ignorance.

two things about this statement.
1) Krav Maga was big WAAAY before enough came out. The movie only made 14 million at the box office so it couldn't have generated THAT much hype.

2) You say that if TJS doubts that Krav Maga is seeking a fast buck through movie, etc. then he is speaking in ignorance. I would like to retort and say that it is YOU who are speaking in ignorance since you state all of this without giving one reference, but mearly rely on speculation to PROVE your point. If you are going to go around telling people that they are ignorant then you had better back it up with facts, not speculation.

http://jujitsu4u.com/
http://www.combatwrestling.com/
http://gokor.com/

King of Fighters
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old muay thai intructor used to teach weapon defence, joint breaking techniques and all kinds of street defences, too bad he quit.

fragbot
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: What group of trainees work and play harder? Reply with quote

Obviously, it depends on the gym.

However, in my experience, one side's training intensity is, on average, markedly different from the other.

WhiteShark
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shidokan, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muay Thai without a doubt.

Simply because of the training intensity. Not many other MAs even come close to real MT training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: