Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Name a kata technique and favored oyo for it. Reply with quote

If you would, please name a kata technique and your favored oyo that you derive from it.

I'll give you one of my variations on a Taika Oyata special from Pinan Nidan:

1) Pivot left into a cat stance. Simultaneously the left hand parries a right
straight punch to your right and at a slight downward angle as the left
arm and hand come across the front of the body and strike the elbow
crease to fold the elbow.

2) With the left hand continue pressing the opponents right hand down,
rolling the left wrist around the opponents wrist and reaching through to
peform a one arm shoulder crank bending the opponent over at the
waist.

3) Step into a left forward stance pushing the opponent forward and off
balance further interrupting the balance by pressing with the left knee
into the opponents stance.

4) Strike to GB 20 at the base of the skull behind the ear with a right
reverse strike. Following through the punch, reach across with your
right hand and grab the opponents clothing or using the left arm pit
for leverage.

5) Pivot into a horse stance from the left forward stance driving the
opponent down into the ground at your feet. You then have the option
of dropping across the opponent's neck with a knee or throwing
another strike, or both if you feel it's necessary. The End

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry in advance. The timing for this technique looks as if it may have been lost in translation. I was trying to keep it simple. *L*

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my favourite is empi am only 7th kyu but I have lernt alot form the Internet.

The empi katas Is from sholin, and It flows along, not too fast not too slow, my favourite parts was when you leap up high doing the chopping action.

Sasori_Te
your timing was Excellent!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav is not from a kata, but from what people who practice our style like to call "Gokui waza." I've heard different interpretations on what "Gokui" is supposed to mean from my instructor (when he doesn't know ... he tends to make it up ...), so if anyone here with some japanese knowledge would like to enlighten me on it's translation, then please do so . (I have litte desire to learn japanese myself.)

What your doing: Trapping an incoming punch, kicking your attacker's knee out, then taking them to the ground with a hip toss. After they are on the ground, you should be in a position to pummel them ...

This one is difficult to explain, so please bear with me

1: your attacker throws a right punch to your upper chest-head level. (mirror the techniques if the strike comes from the left)

2: block and trap the strike by bringing the left arm across your body with your elbow bent > 45 degrees upwards. The left hand should intercept the strike at some point of the attacker's arm between the elbow and the wrist with your forearm.

At the same time, your right arm is comes across your body, striking the attacker's inner elbow, causing it to fold into the trap.

_ALSO_ while executing the trap, your right leg should be coming into chamber to prepare to deliver the kick to the attacker's knee. Your body will rotate to the left for the side kick, and to help evade the punch.

3: With the opponent's arm trapped, you jerk the opponents arm just enough to set him off balance and without causing you to lose balance (you're on only one foot, mind you) This jerk also adds some extra power to the side thrusting kick you are delivering to your opponents most available knee. The best place to kick would be behind the knee if possible, causing it to colapse.

4: Immediately after your kick, you do not bring it back to your body. You will plant your kick behind the attacker in preparation for a hip toss.

5: As soon as you are rooted in your stance, place your right arm on the attacker's chest and execute the hip toss.

6: At this point, you can flee the scene or you could follow the attacker to the ground into the mount. Begin to pummel the attacker into submission.

Like I said, this is a difficult one to explain. It is much easier to demonstrate than explain in words. It works pretty well when done in the dojo -- fortunately I've never had a to try it "for real."

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks smr. I believe that I understand what you are talking about. I've done a variation of this technique somewhere along the line. It does work pretty well.

I found this on a Meibukan site:
Gokui waza - This represents a certain technique that best fits a given situation. All battles have a different outcome, and are ended with different techniques. To perform Gokui waza, one must have a clear mind, absence of conscious thought.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon all you kata folks. Let's hear some of those techniques. (crickets chirping in the background)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a simple block-punch application from the kata Wansu:

What you're doing:
Your attacker is doing the stiff-armed shove to your chest. You will counter and strike to the rib cage and be in a position for freestyle.

(Mirror techniques if the attack is from the opposing side)

1: The attacker attempts to shove you with his right arm to your upper torso/chest area.

2: you step left and forward while performing a left brush block.

3: Once both of your feet are sufficiently planted, strike to the attacker's ribs with your right fist. Because of the very small latency between the block and the strike, your blocking hand will still be out. For this reason, your punch will travel beneath your blocking arm.

If all works out, you will be close to your attacker and he will be left in a vulnerable position, hopefully with a broken rib. Follow this technique up immediately with some freestyle attacks.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again smr! See everyone! it can be done!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK since no one else is speaking up ...

Here's another one from what we call Gokui waza:

What you're doing:
Your opponent is closing in on you with a right haymaker, potentially followed by a left. Your going to block the strikes, take the guy to the ground and have him on his belly why you choke him out.

If you don't already know how to sprawl, then this will be of little use to you.

Perform the two blocks on opposing sides if the attacker begins with his left arm.

1: The attacker comes at you with the right haymaker. You block the strike with a left shuto uke (knife-hand block) to the crook of the arm. Hold on to the arm.

2: the attacker throws the left towards your head, and you block with the right shuto uke. (don't hold on to this one)

3: at this point you have your opponent's right arm and your right arm is still out due to the block that just happened. your opponent is vulnerable. With both hands, grab your attacker by the back of the neck and pull him to you (in and down) use your body weight for a more effective pull. You're going to have to do this fast so he doesn't have time to resist.

4: At this point if you feel like you have time, kick or knee your opponent. BE CAREFULL. He could easily grab your kicking leg and push you over. Also, if the attacker has some wrestling experience, he may grab the back of your leg and take YOU down.

5: Kick your legs back and sprawl, taking the opponent down to the ground.

6: QUICKLY hop into the mount while your opponent is still on his belly.

7: QUICKLY reach around for the choke.

At step #6, your opponent may be able to turn over to his side before you get the mount. That's OK. You probably won't get a good choke, but at least your on top. Do what you gotta do from there.

This oyo is advanced and significantly more difficult to pull off than the usual block-punch combo. Practice makes perfect for this one, but it works quite well when done correctly.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Let me give it some thought for something a little different and I'll get something else posted here.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: