Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

lbouchet
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Ninjutsu and Krav Maga Reply with quote

Hi all;

I already posted this somewhere here, but I don't know where it went so here goes again!
I've been practising Ninjutsu for a while now, and from my (limited) experience with other martial arts I know it is an effective combat-oriented street fighting art. To answer questions on previous posts, there is no competition aspect in Ninjutsu because it's too dangerous -- there are no rules. When someone comes at you with a knife or a baseball bat, it's not "dirty" to break his knee or crush his windpipe...! Anyway, from what I've read about Krav Maga, these two styles seem very similar. For example lots of eye-gouging and ball-busting in both, no katas to memorize, an emphasis on a core group of movements that you then can use to adapt and improvise with in any given fight situation (because no one fight is the same). My question -- were the Israelis who came up with Krav Maga in any way influenced by Ninjutsu or any other combat-oriented "jutsu" martial art?
Sorry if this has already been discussed on this board, maybe I should check the archives first before asking!

Cheers all
Luc

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krav Maga is a modern MA developed in the middle east, so I gather that it did take some effective techniques from othe MAs.

It was designed purely for combat.

I remember being told that Krav Maga was streetfighting at its best, teaching techniques like how to dodge grenades etc.

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krav maga was developed for the war like situations in the middle east so it is possible that it contains some elements from nunjitsu among other MA because it is new just like Tobias said perhaps you will find this helpful

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Krav Maga?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krav Maga is a modern system of self-defence with its roots in reality. Krav Maga was developed by the Israeli army and Security Service as part of their struggle to defeat terrorism. This system is based on "hand to hand" combat and defensive techniques. The system was initially used and adapted to the needs of the army, but has developed into system of self-defence that can be used by the public. Krav Maga is characterised by its simple, natural and effective techniques that is continuously developed to suite the modern society.

In Krav Maga the use of weapons is common, but not weapons in terms of knives or batons but in terms of things from the surroundings such as chairs, sticks and what ever may be at hand.

History of Krav Maga

Krav Maga is one of the youngest Martial Arts, not more than approximately 40 years old. Krav Maga was created by a man named Imi Lichenfield who worked for the Israeli Defence Forces, IDF, and he is still the president for Krav Maga Association. Krav Maga has continuously been tested and techniques that did not work has been removed while techniques that worked has been kept and, if possible, improved. Krav Maga has spread quickly throughout the world and is today a very popular Martial Art.

This comes from http://home1.swipnet.se/budo/kravmaga.htm

I AM CANADIAN

OldRookie
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do (Choong Sil)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer LeaF! I have doing a little online research on Krav Maga myself as it is pretty unheard of in my little redneck town!

btroadman
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but I have to add my two cents. Imi Lichtenfeld is the correct spelling, it was created in 1948, he passed away in 1998. In 1999 Darren Levine created the Krav Maga Worldwide Enterprises to help the Krav Maga Association of America, Inc. expand and promote Krav Maga in the United States and around the world.

KM isn't BASED on any MA, but Imi was a boxer so some of the techniques encorporate good punches, but aren't just like a boxer. KM makes round kicks similar to muay thai fighters, but with some differences that any muay thai fighter will point out.

The important thing to keep in mind is that KM has ALWAYS been integrated by it's own thought process -- the focus on instinctive movements and simple techniques that are accessible under stress. It has NEVER simply borrowed techniques and stuck them in it's system. Because it is an integrated system, every technique must make sense in relation to every other technique -- the same thought process informs the whole system.

Having said that, I will also say that KM has a number of techniques that were not seen by people outside the IDF until their videos came out, including a number of our gun techniques, our knife techniques, and stick defenses.
Kickboxing

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btroadman post sums it up well.

Imi Was a Boxer/wrestler and did some judo/jiu jitsu so obviously some influences from those systems can proabably be seen.

I dont know of any ninjitsu influences.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Krav Maga has Jujutsu in it, then you will see similarities in Ninjutsu as well. Modern Ninjutsu is really Old Jujutsu with 3 Ninjutsu schools mixed in with it. It is not pure Ninjutsu. It is basically Samurai fighting arts mixed with some Ninjutsu. If they are taught properly, they are both very effective systems of fighting.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: