Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shuri_Ryu and Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Oragne Belt (9th Kyu) testing tonight Reply with quote

This post is long and in two parts. First about my son and then about me... Thanks for reading.

Last night my 5 year old son had his stripe review. He earned his first stripe.

Sensi grouped up all the students that were being reviewed and without showing them first asked all the students on his count to perform a required move (ex. Tate-zuki etc.). Then would move on to the next required move. If any of the kids seemed to need more help, they were separated and went to work on the move with a specific black belt and then would come back for the Sensi to review. My son was never selected as one whom needed to refine the skill, in fact him and 2 others ended up being student examples for some of the others so they weren't just sitting around. At them end of the night only 2 of the 9 that were being reviewed did not receive their first stripe. My son received his first of three stripes needed for his Orange belt. He started on 8/1 and has 11 hours of training in. I couldn't be prouder of his accomplishment. He got in the car and made the comment "I just want to stare at my stripe all night." He's very proud the the reward he has received for his hard work.

Since he does stripe reviews different than adult reviews for many obvious reasons, I am up for my Orange belt review. Tonight I will be tested on my Jodan, Chodan, Geda, Nagashi, and Haishu uki. My Mae Geri, Mawashi Geri, Ushior Geri, and Yoko Geri. My Tate Zuki, Seiken Zuki, Urazuken Zuki, Mawashi Zuki, and Kagi Zuki. My Zenkutsu Dachi, Kiba Dachi, Kokutsu Dachi, Kake Dachi, and Mitsurin Dachi.

I think I am ready for it..I have a mini-review to prepare for it in my last class on Monday. I just need to remember to breath...lol

bassaiguy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Go hard!

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing about your son. The stripe comment is adorable.

Best of luck for your test!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
That's amazing about your son. The stripe comment is adorable.

Best of luck for your test!

I wholeheartedly concur with Patrick!!

Relax, and have fun; you'll be fine. Remember, you don't have to get a 100% on the test, so allow the testing cycle to take care of itself.

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great for your son! That's Awesome!

Your belt test is also a teaching class in itself. As sensei8 said, you don't have to be 100%. Relax and enjoy it.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for all of the encouragement and kind words...

Unfortunately, our Head Sensi had an unexpected personal situation and was unable to be there last night, therefore belt reviews got put on hold till Monday.

One of the other blackbelts took us through a great workout and since he knew that I was looking forward to a belt review last night, he had one of the other black belts walk me through step by step on everything to make sure I was comfortable with it all.

This was a very good experience for me because I was able to address some of the smaller issues that I was having in a couple of my transitions and such. I feel as I am much better prepared now.

Having said that, my son is getting a kick out of it because he has 1 stripe on his belt and I have 0 stripes (since they promote children at a slower pace to allow them to grasp everything better), he is technically a higher rank than I am...hahahahaha

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Than, Monday it is!! Meanwhile...keep training!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruisbe wrote:

Unfortunately, our Head Sensi had an unexpected personal situation and was unable to be there last night, therefore belt reviews got put on hold till Monday.

One of the other blackbelts took us through a great workout and since he knew that I was looking forward to a belt review last night, he had one of the other black belts walk me through step by step on everything to make sure I was comfortable with it all.

This was a very good experience for me because I was able to address some of the smaller issues that I was having in a couple of my transitions and such. I feel as I am much better prepared now.

Having said that, my son is getting a kick out of it because he has 1 stripe on his belt and I have 0 stripes (since they promote children at a slower pace to allow them to grasp everything better), he is technically a higher rank than I am...hahahahaha

My Sensei does not stripe adults until Brown. So my 5 year old out ranked me for a bit.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Bruisbe wrote:

My Sensei does not stripe adults until Brown. So my 5 year old out ranked me for a bit.

Thats pretty much how things go with our group. Since he doesn't actually give the belts out until the graduation that happens every other month, if he reviews you, then he will put the stripes on your belt so you can be recognized for that rank in graduation is still a month away or something.

I have been hearing it everyday and its quite adorable. Last night I did the kids class with him to work on some blocks and stuff and he goes, no dad...Im on the right side of you now you dont have any stripes...He's living it up...lmao..

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update everyone. I had my review last night and passed.

He said the only thing that he suggested that I work on is doing blocks from the reverse side. For example if I am in a Right Zen (Front stance) typically the power block would be a right block, however he had me working in a right zen and doing left blocks which was awkward to me and my footing was a little off. He recommended that I work on those type of things to root myself better into the ground.

He said that we all have things that can be improved on and if I expected absolute perfection, then no one would advance, so I am granting you the three stripes required for your Orange belt.

While I still wear my white belt, the three stripes grants me the rank of orange belt and the new material that comes with it. I will officially get my real Orange belt on October 21st!!!

Gold Belt (8th Kyu) here I come!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: