Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Preparing for shodan Reply with quote

I'm taking my 1st dan in just over three weeks (a thought that fills me with both excitement and terror) and I was wondering if anyone could offer any handy hints from when they took their first dan grade. I've done MANY MANY hours of training and preperation for it but I was hoping if someone could share some tips on how to help it go well.
Also if anyone can recommend anything for my nerves then please do so! I get terribly nervous before karate gradings (but not competitions, for some reason).
Thanks!!

Sheffield Steelers!

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truthfully, it sounds like you're already prepared. the only advice i would give you is to goin with theidea thet you are ready to do whatever they ask of you. Often it is my experience that some testing panels will try to throw you a curve ball of sorts bu doing something different/ unexpected, so try not to have any expectations at all.

Don't let anything surprise you. If they ask you to try to do something you've never done before, don't panic, just go in with the ok, I'll do it attitude. Any good testing panel won't ask you to do anything you're not capable of doing, even if you've never done it before.

Just do the best that you can. After all, taht's really all they'll be able to ask of you. Give 100% mentally through the entire test, and always demonstrate the correct attitude. That's what you have the most control over. If the physical skills aren't there now, nothing you do in the next 3 weeks is really going to change anything. I'm not telling you no to practice hard. I'm just sayingyour mental outlook on this test may be more important than your physical condition.

I my experience, and based onwhat you have said, your biggest challenge is going o be calming yourself down. I suggest doing some meditation and relaxation excercises for as long as it takes to get into a calm state.

Some people need to get themselves psyched up for a test, but from your post,i'd say that isn't your problem. You need to make sure that you don't get so keyed up for this test that you burn yourself out early.

I hope I'm making sense..I was kind of writing as things popped into my head, so I'm not sure how coherent this will be when reading it.

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound as though you've prepared yourself! Just be ready for anything and everything! Give your all -- especially when doing forms ---- start and end with POWER...don't let it dwindle.

If you make a mistake....keep going.....don't let it show in your face --- be consistent with all your moves.

Breath!!! Obvious right? When the heat is on you'll forget little things like this! Especially through the calenstenics (sp?) ---- take in nice slow breaths whenever you can ---- don't hold your breath during techiques!

NIGHT BEFORE: High carb dinner --- I recommend pasta

Get a good nights sleep

DAY OFF -- light breakfast. I recommend Oatmeal and a powerbar.

Best of luck to you!

strider
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO use the time you have to work on conditioning as the added 'nerves' and the pressure you are placing on yourself to do well you'll find you'll wear out quickly. You want to finish as strong as you begin. Strong spirit is the key and for kumite 'take no prisoners'. To have been accepted to take the exam is to assume you have the skills required and with that in mind you should try not to let your nerves get in the way, like previously posted meditation would be a very good thing leading up to the 'Big Day'. Wish you the best of luck and let us know how you made out.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controling your emothions is one of the biggest things that should seperate Dans from Kuy ranks IMO. Just relax and do EVERYTHING as hard and quick as you can. Bust it on tests.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not stop if you run out of gas keep going
if you forget a self defense they want to see for a KATA movement do something else do not stop. It is more important to react with a valid defense than to admit you blanked on the one they wanted.

At this level you are expected to bring yourself to the art, so stay focused on the task at hand. REMEBER YOU HAVE BEEN PERFORMING AT THE EXPECTED LEVEL ALREADY OR YOU WOULD NOT BE TESTING.
GOOD LUCK , let us know how it goes.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go into it with an open mind. No expectations "grasshopper". *L* Good Luck!

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Sheffield Steelers!

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, don't 4get to let us know how it goes, and if your comfortable, post a pic or 2 of you being awarded your belt

Quiet Dragon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have not been promoted to Dan yet, I am close, and words of advice from my Hanshi(Sensei) is that the actual promotion is a ceremony and not a test of your knowledge. You already know what to do and how to do it. This is simply a ceremony to recognize your achievement.
So remember that you have worked hard to know what you know. You already have your Dan, it will be presented to you in your promotion ceremony. Dont fret on not knowing what they will ask of you, because you know it. Calm yourself before the ceremony, go out with confidence to show them what you know.
Peace be with you.

As others said, post up some pics for us.

Oh and congradulations on your accomplishment!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: